Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Slowing down on the river

I bet out the flop and turn on the chance I had the best hand, and was prepared to let it go on the river. Villain is LAG.
Who plays this differently?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 02-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Slowing down on the river

I have trouble betting the river here, but since villain is a lag, betting the river is probably correct since he probably would have raised at some point with an A.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Yup, bet this river. Any Ace would have raised by now (C/R since you are in position) or at least bet out on flop to see where they are (assuming a limp with a weak Ace from UTG+1). I'm guessing you are up against a smaller PP (66?) that picked up a draw on the turn). No one sticks around with a K in this spot (note the other cards on the flop are all low - can you see the guy playing K2/3/5? so no worries about the K making his hand)
Old 02-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Against any passive player this is an easy check through. Against a LAG a bet is probably the way to go.