Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 01:54 PM

Default flopped st8 on button

this is from memory only, no hand history

both villians are as solid as 25NL PP player can get, but take that with a grain of salt b/c it is PP.

PP 25NL full ring

Hero (65$) on button 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villian (75$) CO
Villian2 (irrelevant) UTG+2

Villians limp, all else fold, Hero raise to $3.50
VIllian2 calls, Villian1 calls.

Flop: JQK rainbow

Villian2 bets 6, Villian1 calls, Hero raises to 20
Villian2 folds, Villian1 calls.

Turn : 4, suit irrelevant

Villian1 bets 25, Hero??

Any thoughts or suggestions. Does anyone fold here and if so, easy fold? or not?

Thanks in advance

Results and how it played out to come
Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: flopped st8 on button

Easy push. Who would have expected the 7 x BB raise on the button with 9 10s ? I would expect to see two pair or possiably AK with no raise due to position.
Psychic predition is AK with 10 on river for higher straight.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:12 PM

wheres all the pros at??
why do more people answer the pill than me?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do more people answer the pill than me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, it's just that jdaddy and berge20 already summed it all up - easy push here, you can't play expecting villian1 to flop a better straight. In hindsight it's not hard to see how that happened, but you can't expect that.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:19 PM

thank you
Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM

That's why it's called the ignorant end.

Anyway, the danger of playing hands like 89s is that you will often flop the non-nut straight and then there goes your stack. The same could be said of small and medium pairs 66-22 when they get overset, although that happens much less frequently. JTs is a much better hand than 89s.

I have to disagree with the other guys that this is an automatic push. I think this is a push or fold situation, and that depends entirely on your read. Only someone who has played a few rounds with villain is going to be able to make that read. If you know absolutely nothing about him, then it's probably a push, but that usually happens early in a session, when your stack is only 50x bb, or villain just bought in. Your risk is less when the stacks aren't as deep. The longer you are sitting at a table, the more you should know about your opponents.

No big deal if you fold here. Maybe you end up folding the best hand once in a while (who doesn't), but that's playing smart poker. In the long run, you'll still be profitable, especially when that LAG maniac goes all-in for 200 xBB and you're hold the nutz.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That's why it's called the ignorant end.

Anyway, the danger of playing hands like 89s is that you will often flop the non-nut straight and then there goes your stack. The same could be said of small and medium pairs 66-22 when they get overset, although that happens much less frequently. JTs is a much better hand than 89s.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhh, this is obvious of course. but i am asking who folds this and who pushes, the range of hands villian can do this with is huge. but anytwo pair would seem most likely. Really i didn't put villian on the A-10. he seemed a little too solid to be calling raises pf with A-10.