Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Sucks to be you, LAG-boy. (kinda low content)

It's just so rare that I actually win a hand with a mere top pair after being check-raised on the turn, I felt I had to post this. Nice to confirm that being a donk preflop occasionally costs you $$.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: "Hero" is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">"Hero" bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, "Hero" calls, Button calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, "Hero" calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Qc 8d (one pair, queens).
"Hero" has Kh Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: "Hero" wins 14.25 BB. </font>
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Sucks to be you, LAG-boy. (kinda low content)

Stop being so negative about your play all the time. Get it together man!
Old 02-25-2005, 05:57 PM

Is 3 betting the turn a valid play here? Or were you trying to keep the button in? I would 3 bet the turn to try to get button out in case he picked up a straight draw.

I do not think you need to fear a AQ here, but a two pair from the UTG would not suprise me. Even if he caught his 2 pair, don't you have enough equity to try to push the Button out?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question/line but I am jumping into the HUSH scene and trying to wrap my head around it.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:01 PM

I haven't played a ton of 10/20 but I know enough to say that if the button picked up an OESD straight draw, or an inside-straight draw + Ace, he's not folding for two bets.

That said, if I had had a better read on this guy at the time I would have realized he pushes half-decent hands way too far, and reraised. But turn-checkraises scare the hell out of me. I figured him for Q9 or KJ.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:54 PM

I understand your reasoning that the Button would not fold if he picked up the draws. However, wouldn't that also argue for a 3bet as you would want to charge him for it?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand your reasoning that the Button would not fold if he picked up the draws. However, wouldn't that also argue for a 3bet as you would want to charge him for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There arises the problem that you're actually usually behind after this checkraise, and you don't want a 4-bet since you've got live outs.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There arises the problem that you're actually usually behind after this checkraise, and you don't want a 4-bet since you've got live outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.