Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Well.... Is it him?
No 5 10.64%
Yes 30 63.83%
I am the TSC I admit it's me. 12 25.53%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM

Default NOONE KNOWS - Please Help With My Play On This Hand.. Very Tricky

Hello all. I have a serious question about the way I played a hand at foxwoods and noone can figure it out. If you could help me I would seriously appreciate it. This hand play is one of the most tricky I have ever encountered. The advice could go for more hands when you are pretty sure you have the nuts. It was at a 4-8 table at foxwoods on Tuesday night. The table was loose prefolp, and loose on the flop, but very tight after the turn.
I was in the #2 position with (2H, 2S). UTG called, I called, #4 called, Button called, SB called, and BB checked. 6 Player saw the flop of JC, 9C, 8H, with $24 dollars in the pot.
SB bet, BB called, #1 called, I called hoping for trips ( I wasnt worried about being raised because noone was raising the entire night after the flop because everyone was slowplaying, so they would check raise on the turn. So I called, and everyone else called and there was $48 dollars in the pot.
6 players see the turn of 9H. Everyone checked but I was pretty sure someone had a 9 and was slowplaying. Most likely it was one of the blinds because both had been check-raising on the turn all night.
The river was the 2C, giving me a full house. So I had (2H,2S) and the board was (Jc, 9c, 8h, 9h, 2c). I was 98 % sure I had the best hand, with the only chance being someone with J,9. I was also close to 100 % sure someone had made the flush, and everyone at the table had been flush hunting all night.
Ok heres my question, and where it all gets tricky. SB thought about betting but checked, BB checked, #1 quickly bet. Because it was only 4/8 i wanted to hopefully get a bunch of bets in. So #1 bet, and it was up to me to call or raise, with 4 people still left to play behind me.
Based on my reads I felt that:
IF I RAISE, heres what could happen
1) anyone with a 9 will probably fold as I alerted them to a possible straight or flush 2) anyone with the straight will just call for fear of the flush 3) anyone with the nutflush (or maybe K flush) will reraise and I will get the chance to make it 4 bets, with the #1 player calling because he would be trapped in a pot with good pot odds.
IF I CALL, heres what could happen with 4 players still left to act.
1) anyone with a J would most likely call 2) anyone with a 9, a flush, or a straight might raise because they are still in the mindset of slowplaying and therefore I could reraise with 1,2 or 3 players being trapped in the pot with them having already called the $8 dollar bet from the #1 position, so they would call any raises most likely.
So I either raise and hope someone made the nut flush and reraise me, or I call and hope someome raises up the pot allowing me to re-raise.
I know most of the time you should raise in my situation with the full house.
I CALLED FOR THESE REASONS. I felt that if I raised then everyone would fold and the #1 would just call unless he had the nut flush in which he would reraise me. If he calls my raise then I only gain $16 dollars on the river. If he reraises me, then I would gain $ 32 because I would then reraise. I still felt that the #1 position would only call me, so I thought I would only gain $16. I FELT that i called, all it would take it one other person behind me to call to equal the EV that I would gain from raising and having the #1 just call me. If I call and more then one person calls, then I would make more than the $16 dollars I would get from raising. If I ONLY called I felt that someone might foolishly raise the pot up with a 9, or a straight, or a low flush. If that happend that everyone would be trapped and I would reraise and gain much more from it. I realized that if I call I might be lucky enough to get this situation or one just like it. --- #1 bet, I call, #4 call, button raises, SB folds, BB folds, #1 calls, I re-raise, #4 calls, button calls and #1 calls. If that happens then I would take down a pot of $144 or more. That is a ton more than if I raised and taking down a pot of $80 when the #1 just calls me.
Please help me out with this insane situation. It had been driving me crazy for the past few days, and I cannot figure out the correct play here. Noone I ask gives me a detailed answer that would explain this. Thankyou so much for your time in reading this long post, but I had to explain every detail to get a correct answer. I know this type of hand happens often enough that I need to know the correct play for the future.
Thanks again,
Evan
Old 02-24-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: NOONE KNOWS - Please Help With My Play On This Hand.. Very Tricky

fold on the flop. you don't have anywhere near the odds you need to call to see the turn, plus the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] puts a 3-flush on the board, plus any Q,T or 7 may complete a straight for an opponent.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM

I would have folded the flop. What are you doing in this pot?
No one will fold with a decent hand on the river way to much value.

I think you are beat by a better full house.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:49 PM

Easy fold on the flop. Not even close. Even IF you had odds for calling to a set (you need 22-1), you STILL might be behind to a flopped straight, and any OESD has 8 outs against you. Also, if you hit the 2C, anyone with a club has outs against you.

So you are paying about 10-1 odds (assuming callers behind you, and no one raises behind you) for your 22-1 chance of spiking a hand that STILL might not be good.

I'm definitely still a beginner compared to people on this board, but this play is downright fishy.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:52 PM

way to completely miss the issue with this hand... fold that flop, and it ain't close.

and way to back into a boat on the river that you can't even bet! i like how you ignored this possibility on the turn when you were still praying for a deuce.

also how at your tables every time the board pairs and there's a three flush someone has the flush, and two people have boats. but no one ever bets them.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all. I have a serious question about the way I played a hand at foxwoods and noone can figure it out. If you could help me I would seriously appreciate it. This hand play is one of the most tricky I have ever encountered. The advice could go for more hands when you are pretty sure you have the nuts. It was at a 4-8 table at foxwoods on Tuesday night. The table was loose prefolp, and loose on the flop, but very tight after the turn.
I was in the #2 position with (2H, 2S). UTG called, I called, #4 called, Button called, SB called, and BB checked. 6 Player saw the flop of JC, 9C, 8H, with $24 dollars in the pot.
SB bet, BB called, #1 called, I called hoping for trips ( I wasnt worried about being raised because noone was raising the entire night after the flop because everyone was slowplaying, so they would check raise on the turn. So I called, and everyone else called and there was $48 dollars in the pot.
6 players see the turn of 9H. Everyone checked but I was pretty sure someone had a 9 and was slowplaying. Most likely it was one of the blinds because both had been check-raising on the turn all night.
The river was the 2C, giving me a full house. So I had (2H,2S) and the board was (Jc, 9c, 8h, 9h, 2c). I was 98 % sure I had the best hand, with the only chance being someone with J,9. I was also close to 100 % sure someone had made the flush, and everyone at the table had been flush hunting all night.
Ok heres my question, and where it all gets tricky. SB thought about betting but checked, BB checked, #1 quickly bet. Because it was only 4/8 i wanted to hopefully get a bunch of bets in. So #1 bet, and it was up to me to call or raise, with 4 people still left to play behind me.
Based on my reads I felt that:
IF I RAISE, heres what could happen
1) anyone with a 9 will probably fold as I alerted them to a possible straight or flush 2) anyone with the straight will just call for fear of the flush 3) anyone with the nutflush (or maybe K flush) will reraise and I will get the chance to make it 4 bets, with the #1 player calling because he would be trapped in a pot with good pot odds.
IF I CALL, heres what could happen with 4 players still left to act.
1) anyone with a J would most likely call 2) anyone with a 9, a flush, or a straight might raise because they are still in the mindset of slowplaying and therefore I could reraise with 1,2 or 3 players being trapped in the pot with them having already called the $8 dollar bet from the #1 position, so they would call any raises most likely.
So I either raise and hope someone made the nut flush and reraise me, or I call and hope someome raises up the pot allowing me to re-raise.
I know most of the time you should raise in my situation with the full house.
I CALLED FOR THESE REASONS. I felt that if I raised then everyone would fold and the #1 would just call unless he had the nut flush in which he would reraise me. If he calls my raise then I only gain $16 dollars on the river. If he reraises me, then I would gain $ 32 because I would then reraise. I still felt that the #1 position would only call me, so I thought I would only gain $16. I FELT that i called, all it would take it one other person behind me to call to equal the EV that I would gain from raising and having the #1 just call me. If I call and more then one person calls, then I would make more than the $16 dollars I would get from raising. If I ONLY called I felt that someone might foolishly raise the pot up with a 9, or a straight, or a low flush. If that happend that everyone would be trapped and I would reraise and gain much more from it. I realized that if I call I might be lucky enough to get this situation or one just like it. --- #1 bet, I call, #4 call, button raises, SB folds, BB folds, #1 calls, I re-raise, #4 calls, button calls and #1 calls. If that happens then I would take down a pot of $144 or more. That is a ton more than if I raised and taking down a pot of $80 when the #1 just calls me.
Please help me out with this insane situation. It had been driving me crazy for the past few days, and I cannot figure out the correct play here. Noone I ask gives me a detailed answer that would explain this. Thankyou so much for your time in reading this long post, but I had to explain every detail to get a correct answer. I know this type of hand happens often enough that I need to know the correct play for the future.
Thanks again,
Evan

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold the flop. Twice.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

You should start out by learning pot odds.

Fold the flop. You missed.

b
Old 02-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Normally I would fold the flop, but the way the table was playing I knew the flop wouldnt be raised. Also the way the table had been playing for hours, the pot was either tiny or huge, and I thought that the flop made me expect great pot odds later on. If a 2 falls then I can win a enormous pot.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:05 PM

You could know that the flop wasn't gonna be raised, but it doesnt matter. You aren't even close to getting odds to call here.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Normally I would fold the flop, but the way the table was playing I knew the flop wouldnt be raised. Also the way the table had been playing for hours, the pot was either tiny or huge, and I thought that the flop made me expect great pot odds later on. If a 2 falls then I can win a enormous pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still don't have the odds to call this single flop bet.

b