Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 PM

Default did this play make any sense at all?

I know this was bad. but how bad was it? use your own scale.
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (6.66 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.33 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (9.33 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 11.33 BB
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: did this play make any sense at all?

I'd say somewhat bad, but not horrific. I don't know the villian so that plays a role too.

Given the hole you dug yourself on the flop, did you consider another line? Why not check raise the turn and fire again at the river? If he buys the flop caping completing the board, then you have some chance at getting him off an over pair.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM

why did you make all of those moves?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM

i bet the flop. call a raise. check call the turn. and maybe check call or check fold depending on the player (super agg i obviously induce, tighty i fold, middle i use pot as guide)

-Barron
Old 02-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Assuming Villain is not overly aggro I am not really sure what the point of the turn bet is after he capped the flop. Seems like the odds of him folding here are zero... and it's hard to believe it is a value bet without some sort of read. Go with Dcifr's line... that sounds about right to me.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM

ok good. After the hand I sat there very upset with myself for throwing away money and took a break. I think the river and turn bet are definitely out of line.

As for the flop 3bet, that I think has some merit to it, though its not my standard line. The 3bet was because I thought that he thought I had high cards, and so was hoping that I could fold him there or on the turn. Would you guys ever 3bet the flop and lead the turn on a board like this against an unknown (pretending he didn't cap)?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the flop 3bet, that I think has some merit to it, though its not my standard line. The 3bet was because I thought that he thought I had high cards, and so was hoping that I could fold him there or on the turn. Would you guys ever 3bet the flop and lead the turn on a board like this against an unknown (pretending he didn't cap)?

[/ QUOTE ]

against most i'm not sure that the flop 3-bet is too smart... most of the time you probably just scare him into calling down with his PP. i don't see him folding a whole lot of hands that beat you unless he's overly tight.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

against most i'm not sure that the flop 3-bet is too smart... most of the time you probably just scare him into calling down with his PP. i don't see him folding a whole lot of hands that beat you unless he's overly tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a hand like this one on party poker, what kind of PT stats would be necessary to justify the flop 3bet? are there any?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 PM

You are out of position, making this even more of an uphill battle. All of the others' comments apply as well.

If you really feel you have the best hand then slow down and pick off UTG+2's bluff; otherwise, you are beaten, and he's not laying down. CR-ing the turn might be worth a shot, but I would have to put my opponent on either QQ or KK, or perhaps another AK with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. If I were in your position, I would try to get away from this as cheaply as possible.