Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 12:29 AM

Default AA with paired board.

Is it correct to wait for the turn to raise this to protect my hand or is the pot too small for me to be doing this?
Again, I'm afraid I'm mis-applying concepts from Ed's book.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: AA with paired board.

Raise the flop. Push your equity edge.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM

There's only one guy to 'protect' from, and raising the flop will face him 5:1 odds, which is too low for 4 and 5 outers to call profitably. Just raise the flop.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 AM

MP2 can never call correctly on this flop without a OESD or a flush draw. Since he will be making a bad flop call for one bet with a hand like KT or Q8, I would raise the flop and hope that he makes an even worse call. This is really a case where you are rooting for MP2 to call. These situations come up fairly often where you don't really mind if they fold but you want to give them the chance to make a bad call.

Brad
Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 AM

Here, it's not so much about protecting your hand. You probably have the best hand, so just raise. Your pot equity won't go up very much on the turn either, so just push the edge you have right now.

I think most of the time, when the bet comes from your immediate right, you should just do the obvious thing and raise. Since reading SSH, I'm rarely in a situation where waiting until the turn to raise is prefered (Unless I'm just not paying close enough attention to recognize such a situation?)
Old 02-24-2005, 03:28 AM

Hmmm, I guess the hard part then is trying to figure out when to protect and when not to raise the flop and push equity...

By the way, the *only* times I can protect my hand is if the bettor is from my immediate right, so I'm not sure I understand what is meant when you say "When the bettor is to your immediate right, just do the obvious thing and raise".
Could you perhaps elaborate a bit?