Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Champion of the Authors

Well, Sklansky's books will be boosted in sales now. How about that A K lay down?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Champion of the Authors

I don't know you others feel, but this was a very entertaining show, one of my WPT favorites.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:37 PM

Definately one of my favorite episodes. Watching these guys play against each other was classic poker. I wish they would not edit so much from the broadcast but oh well.

Oh yeah, that AK laydown was huge. David did go on to win and something can be said for playing AK cautiously.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:40 PM

I want the obligatory "Oh, he was just lucky" posts from all those spoil sports who always have to say the winner was lucky. And, oh yeah, follow-up from the sourpusses who say "He may be able to write books, but he can't beat any real pros."
Old 02-24-2005, 02:01 PM

If you assume that TJ has either AQsuited, any AK, or Jacks or better and that he won't bet (or call with) his jacks or queens if an ace or king flops (without making him a set) but will always bet all his hands otherwise, the fold is clearcut. And those were, in fact, my assumptions.

Meanwhile my limps with AJ and KJ and my flat call with 33 on the flop were plays that I made only because it was early in the tournament. The alternatives (ie to raise) were quite reasonable but only if I didn't have books to sell.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM

David, what did you think of Doyles heads-up play? He looked like he needed an old-man nap to wake up.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 PM

the fold is clearcut

folding is superior to calling. what about re-raising?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 PM

Hello David,

Congratulations, very good show. I'm just curious if you put TJ on that range, does he call a preflop all-in? In the MTT forum there is an ongoing discussion about passing up small edges, with the pot odds and your supposed folding equity, for me it's an easy push. Now I understand the concept of passing up an edge like this if you think you are a better player than the rest of the field (obviously I would not have these delusions in your situation).

I guess I'd like to understand your thought process there. If you don't come over the top there when do you? It's hard for me to believe that even you could concider yourself that much better than the rest of the field to make that laydown. So was it all about lasting to the end to increase book sales?

It worked, I have a few 2+2 books already and I'm now planning on picking up TOP.

Congrats again and thank you for your time in answering my inquiry.

-sloth
Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David, what did you think of Doyles heads-up play? He looked like he needed an old-man nap to wake up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think that but his all-in bluffs with nothing were pretty transparent imo.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the fold is clearcut

folding is superior to calling. what about re-raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with calling is that when he improves he will not get any action from TJ when TJ holds a worse hand. The vast majority of the time that he gets action from TJ, Sklansky will be behind.