Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Party 15 66 bb

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.66 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.33 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (10.33 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...
Old 02-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Party 15 66 bb

sweet

is the button a moron?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't know, he must be new, no stats on him.

Once the poster called my turn bet, I expected the river to be checked thru and him to drag with 95o or whatever.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:48 PM

Raising is certainly better than calling. You can't call because the poster almost certainly has you beat. Still, I am not sure what button bets the river with after that action that you are ahead of. The way I see it, for you to win button has to be a rueb and the poster has to fold. I am not sure that parlay happens more than one time in six. Ergo, I think folding is your best option of all.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is the button a moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know

[/ QUOTE ]

=[
Old 02-23-2005, 04:53 PM

The way the hand played out wtf could the button possibly have that beats me here other than JTs or a rivered set of 7s?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Results

Poster folded, button calls and shows JJ.

That one definately made me do a double-take.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Results

originally i didnt like this checkraise, but after thinking about it i like it more and more. checkraising is obviously better than calling, but i was going to say i prefer folding firstly. your effective odds on a checkraise is about 6:1, and you are likely to have this play work often enough to make this profitable. if anything, the river checkraise has tremendous metagame strength, which is what puts this play into the "i like it" category as far as im concerned.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Results

I'm still shaking my head at the fact that the button took no further aggessive action after my flop-checkraise in a 3-handed pot with a vulnerable overpair in the Party 15.

As soon as the poster folded, I was pretty damn sure that I'd get the pot and not even have to show my hand.

Given the action, that's gonna be QJ QT KT or whatever other nonsense can't win by showing down the vast majority of the time.

In another interesting note, last night I saw someone flat-call a river checkraise heads up with the nuts...I also saw someone put in 4-bets on the turn with 75o on an AQ92 board against preflop limp reraiser. He spiked his 7 seven on the river, but unfortunately it was no good. Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother trying putting a lot of these people on a hand.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Preflop is an easy raise or fold, calling is your worst option.

Flop and turn are standard.

The river check is ok. Button probably has unimproved overcards and may take a stab at the pot if checked to, and if he is ahead -- which is a distinct possibility since you do have FOURTH pair here even assuming no overpair -- then a check-call is fine. Check-raising the river, though, is just silly. What can he possibly call you with that you're ahead of? What are the odds that a better hand than yours would fold? If I'm missing something please tell me, but I think this was a bad play.