Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re-opening PP accounts for rakeback. What\'s the big deal PP?

I don't understand the fuss that PP (or Empire for that matter) makes for people who are trying to close their accounts and reopen them under a more favorable rake-back deal. The way it is now, I only play at PP when there's a bonus going on and play at PokerNow (with my rakeback) every other time. If I were to attempt to close my account and open it back up under a new rakeback deal, i would probably play at PP all the time. Why do they make it such a hassle to do so?

I signed up with PP a while back before I knew about rakeback. Wouldn't they risk losing some of their bigger volume players who signed up with PP before they knew about rakeback? (Not saying that I am a big volume guy, but I pay a decent amount in rake to PokerNow a month, 4-tabling 3/6 about 15-20 hours a week)

Question: Why don't they just make it easy for existing players to sign up under a rakeback program? Or come up with a way that existing players can get some kind of money back for playing a certain amount?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Re-opening PP accounts for rakeback. What\'s the big deal PP?

Umm...cause they don't allow rakeback at all?

They're certainly not going to help you set something up that they disapprove of entirely...
Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They're certainly not going to help you set something up that they disapprove of entirely...

[/ QUOTE ]

You've lost me. They don't allow rakeback? How do the affiliates provide you with rakeback then? They just get the money out of thin air?

(Maybe I'm just stupid and missing the obvious here)
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM

It's got to do with voiding existing affiliate agreements; even if Party were to offer rakeback to non-affiliate house accounts, they are in effect creating a conflict of interest with affiliates that incur expenses to capture new accounts.

Having said this, if you jump through the hoops this can be accomplished; it seems like Party is operating on a don't ask don't tell policy much like IGM's policy on opening accounts at multiple skins. This way the fish keep the affiliates and IGM happy, while shrewd accounts circumvent it (on these accounts the old affiliate and/or Party won't get paid if you move your business to another skin, so there's no sense in them fighting it).
Old 02-23-2005, 03:55 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've lost me. They don't allow rakeback? How do the affiliates provide you with rakeback then? They just get the money out of thin air?

(Maybe I'm just stupid and missing the obvious here)

[/ QUOTE ]

Affiliates get a certain amount of money each month for each player who signed up under them and generates rake as a commission for bringing these players to the site. Rakeback is a kickback from the affiliate to the player, based on the amount of that commission for that player. Many sites, including Party, expressly prohibit such arrangements, but many affiliates ignore the rules in order to compete. Party doesn't want you to close your account in order to sign up under an affiliate, because they aren't actually getting a new player in exchange for the commission they're paying to the affiliate; all that's happening from their perspective is that they're suddenly paying for something they already had for free.

Rake may indeed be too high, and it may indeed be only sensible for players to want rakeback when it's available. However, it is against the rules, and Party (et al) will try to stamp it out when they catch wind of it.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party doesn't want you to close your account in order to sign up under an affiliate, because they aren't actually getting a new player in exchange for the commission they're paying to the affiliate; all that's happening from their perspective is that they're suddenly paying for something they already had for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it makes sense, but if I'm not playing there because I get a better rakeback at a different skin, then they ARE missing out on the rake that I am generating. So if I were to cancel and sign back up, they're not getting a new player, but what they are getting is a more active player.

When I signed up for PP a couple of years ago, I didn't go through any affiliate. Just signed up directly at the website cause I didn't know any better. I've read all the forums saying that I can just cancel my account and sign back up in 2 weeks (officially 6 months), but it just seems like a hassle, esp cause I might miss some reloads in the process [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and there's no guarantee that I can set my account back up under the new affiliate.

I guess I understand the fact that PP doesn't want to pay 2 affilates for 1 player though. Just thought it would make sense for them to want me to play there though instead of through another skin. They'd make more money that way.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is against the rules, and Party (et al) will try to stamp it out when they catch wind of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. It's not against the rules if you get PP gift certificates, no? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Almost the same as cash, but slightly different.