Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Good Bluff?

2 3 5 come in for 10 - NL $500(max)
Let me start off with my reads. I’ve played with villain a few times. She seems to be a tight-passive player and intimidated by me. She has raised a few pots and will check when she has no hand or bet strong when she has a hand. I have seen her raise with a lot of overpairs and play them strongly i.e. go all in if someone raises her. She has seen me bring in a lot of pots, even a 5k one the other night, and has even commented that she cannot put me on hand. I ‘m pretty solid(tight and aggressive at the right times) at the table and this night was no different, i.e. the cards were helping my image. I was not involved in many pots and showed down winning cards. She only had seen one bluff which turned into a win at the river. This night her and I only got into one had besides this where she check an overpair and call one bet on the turn. She won that hand. Overall she seemed afraid to play against me.

Now the hand:
Villain ($1200) Small Blind (Chip leader at this time)
Hero ($900) Big Blind

There are three players that limped in, two from middle and one from late. They all had about a $300 - $400 stack size. Villain raises to $40. Hero calls with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. (At this point I called with the intension of out playing her if the situation arise base on my reads above.) Limpers call.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain bets $100
Hero raises to $300
Everyone else folds.
After a minute Villain calls. At this point I’m pretty sure she has a high pocket pair. I need a scare card or I check it down.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks
Hero moves all in for $600
I believe this was the perfect card for me completing the flush…paired the top card and leading to a possible full house.

So…What do you guys think?
Results will follow.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Good Bluff?

What hand do you expect her to put you on though? Also, what hand do you think she has? You said that she's been betting overpairs pretty agressively when bet against right? Either she doesn't have one, or she's just changing her play (could be).

However, her flop bet is very weak. With 2 clubs, you'd think she'd bet more than half pot with 5 players in the hand. I figure she might have AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM

She was betting overpairs aggressively but not against me. I did say that she played very weak against me with an overpair in a previous hand. I was 99% sure that she had an overpair. Based on her comments on not being able to put me on a hand I wasn’t sure what she put me on the flop. Maybe an overpair or flush draw with a pair. She knew base on earlier play and discussion that we had at the table that I knew she had an overpair. Once a scare card came I was sure I could form her opinion of what my hand was.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM

results?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM

By the information you posted about the villian I bet she called. You stated yourself that she plays high pocket pairs strongly, and that your table image was solid. I doubt that she put you on a 9 or flush, just my opinion. I do like your preflop call because if you hit your set you double up, but once you were sure she had the overpair you should have moved on.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM

Results:
Well…Villain called after about 3 minutes or so.
River: Qs (Villain said [censored]!)
I knocked the table knowing she won and she seemed surprise when she threw over her K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and won. I did not show.
Thinking about this more and more. I believe I just gave her too much credit I had not really seen her throw away a big hand (since she didn’t play many hands and not many pushed on her). After she said [censored], I took that as she thought she was beat and tried to out draw me on the river. But then again maybe she thought I had queens. Anyways it was a fun hand.