Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Pocket 10s UTG - MTT (nearing the money) How to play?

1100 entrants
40 players left - top 30 cash
750/1500 blinds

I'm below average stack size w/ t15,000 and I find myself UTG w/ 10s. Table has been pretty reverent of any raises. Help, how would you come in w/ this hand?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Pocket 10s UTG - MTT (nearing the money) How to play?

Make it 4500 to go. Call any maniacs who put you all-in, fold to any tight players who put you all-in. Only 30 cash in an 1100 person event?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 PM

That's basically what I did (t4000 raise) got a call from a decent stack in late position. Flop J, 2, 3... I lead out w/ 1500, he puts me all in. Believe it or not I was able to get away from this hand (he was a pretty tight player) and he showed trip 2s. I let him catch trip 2s!!!! I'm thinking I should have moved in preflop, would've chased him away I think.

Oh, and the tournament was basically a freeroll (1000 Party Poker bonus points) thus only top 30 cash. First place $1K.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:48 PM

nevermind, read it wrong the first time.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM

I would have pushed, not because I read the second post, but because I had been in a similar situation, bubble time with an above average stack and I picked up JJ UTG. The blinds+antes were 1/6 of my stack, so I pushed. Got called by AK and lost. But after much reflection Pushing was still the right play. You're not folding TT anyways, so might as well make it tougher for your opponents to call.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:52 PM

We need more information to answer this question.

1. What was the buyin (can we expect the players to be good or bad?)
2. What are the stack sizes (most importantly, where are the big stacks that might be looking to push you around. Is one the big blind?)
3. How has the table been playing (If we raise utg, can we expect a decision for all your chips? Is that decision an easy one since the table is so loose, or a tough one since it's tight?)
4. What is your table image? (if this is a low buyin tourney, this isn't very relevant).
5. What exactly is the prize payout, and how do you think the other players at the table feel about bubbling?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Whenever I catch TT UTG or in the blinds, I call out to my wife, "I'm coming to bed after this hand."

How you play it depends on the table, but I really don't like any options. Early in a tournament, I'll often limp because a standard raise will get too many callers who have fallen in love with their aces and faces. But you can't limp UTG for 10% of your stack...

Your raise is good, but I would have bet out more on the flop. I think I'm ahead here, and want to take down the pot. The min-bet screams, "I missed! If you have a pair of fives, please come over the top and take this pot from me." A bigger bet also would have made the fold easier, because you are representing a stronger hand, which makes his push all the more frightening. If I accidentally min-bet and got re-raise, I'd be hard pressed to fold. (Why he didn't cold-call and ask you to bet again on the turn is a good question...)

My two cents,

Sam
Old 02-23-2005, 01:02 PM

I suspected it was one of those PartyPoker freerolls, mainly due to the 750-1500 blind level. Thats just not normal in live events and I think they pay 30 spots?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 PM

1. What was the buyin (can we expect the players to be good or bad?) <font color="red"> It was a players club bonus points tourney, the field appeared to get better as the tourney carried on but again it was a freeroll </font>
2. What are the stack sizes (most importantly, where are the big stacks that might be looking to push you around. Is one the big blind?) <font color="red"> BB was average stack size, table leaders were in middle posistion(s) </font>
3. How has the table been playing (If we raise utg, can we expect a decision for all your chips? Is that decision an easy one since the table is so loose, or a tough one since it's tight?) <font color="red"> The table was very respectful of others raises for the last 30-45 minutes, not many flops </font>
4. What is your table image? (if this is a low buyin tourney, this isn't very relevant). <font color="red"> NOT RELEVANT </font>
5. What exactly is the prize payout, and how do you think the other players at the table feel about bubbling?
<font color="red"> I'd say 3-4 players at the table made it perfectly clear through their play they wanted to limp in to the money </font>

Justin, congrads on your final table appearance (Bahamas?) How did you end up doing?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I catch TT UTG or in the blinds, I call out to my wife, "I'm coming to bed after this hand."
Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, very funny Sam!!