Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Pocket Kings

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 22 BB

I think I should have bet raised or check raised the turn. Let me know what you think about the entire hand please. This is my first post also, I probably did something wrong. Sorry.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Pocket Kings

Yes Billy, I think you would benefit from betting or check-raising the turn here as it looks like you are ahead.

Please advise why you didn't. What was your thinking/your reasons for not betting out or c-r? I would like to better understand that playing style.

=TomBk
Old 02-23-2005, 02:38 AM

I think I bet out on the turn. There's a good chance that you're ahead, and you don't want to risk giving a free card. If MP1 raises, I think I just call down.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

The table was very LA. I didn't think betting would eliminate anyone and I guess I wanted the other players to think the bettor had the great hand. I wanted to be forgotten about (like I had AK and that's why I reraised PF).
Old 02-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Sounds like slowplay logic. Don't slowplay an overpair, it's just not worth it multiway. If it's a small pot heads up I might slowplay here. You should have bet the turn. Can't get paid if you don't bet. Did you lose the hand? Were you behind on the turn?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:33 PM

If the table's LAG and you have what is very likely to be the best hand, why would you want to slowplay rather than bet/raise for value? I don't mean that to sound offensive, but it just doesn't seem logical to me.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 PM

I agree with betting the turn. This is a big pot and you should try very hard to win it.

Unless MP1 has a set, you like him to raise your turn bet as it may drive out the players behind. Even if he's got 2 pair, it's not so bad because you still have lots of outs to beat him. You really need to put as much pressure as possible on the other 2 players.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone - I think it was sound logic. Since the post seems through I'll give away the surprise ending. I lost not to MP1s lone queen in the hole (the reason he capped), but to MP3s non-paired pocket CLUBS! I'll never understand why he didn't fold a backdoor flush draw with no pair - even to one bet. Argh.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 PM

You went into check call mode a little early here methinks. Given your apparent lack of reads that is. Against most opponents I bet the turn then start to slow down.