Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Top 2 Pair on the Flop

3-6 live at Hollywood Park. Blind structure is 1-3 with an additional 1 from the button going to the jackpot. If the pot isn’t raised, people will complete with absolutely anything from SB or button.

Villain is loose PF. Bets any pair after the flop. Not tricky.

Preflop: Hero is SB with KsJd
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Villain calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Kc 5s Jh (5 players)
Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Villain calls

Turn: (4 BB) Ac (3 players)
Hero bets, MP1 folds, Villain raises, Hero reraises, Villain caps, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 8h (2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Top 2 Pair on the Flop

Nobody?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 PM

I think its fine. After you 3-bet the turn, I'd call down when he caps. Live players tend to be even more loose-passive than online players and I doubt he's capping with a pair of aces. You're not folding this two pair, so call it down.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I might raise preflop if I thought it would get someone to fold, but I don't have a problem with just completing. I don't love KJo.

I would go for a check raise on the flop to get more money in the pot and find out if anyone likes their hand enough to reraise a checkraise -- it's unlikely anyone I want to fold will fold.

I'd be unhappy to see the Ace on the turn. I would probably reraise too unless Villain was very passive (i.e., so passive that he wouldn't raise with only one pair), but I would not feel great about the reraise (I'd be having visions of QT and A5 and hoping for a K or J on the river).

Definitely check call the river.

Use my advice at your own risk. It didn't do me much good last night...
Old 02-23-2005, 04:31 PM

This looks fine to me. If villain is not tricky and not overly aggressive he probably has Aces up when he caps the turn. Still, you have to call this down. I think you would have to be extremely confident in your read that he does, in fact, have Aces up to be able to lay down the river unimproved for one more BB.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:02 PM

Nice hand, well done. I wouldn't be suprised to see QT or Aces up here. You gotta call down though.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM

She showed me QT for the straight, and the table berated me for reraising with a possible straight out there. After the cap, I knew I was beat, but I don't think I can fold for one more bet.

I didn't try to CR on the flop because I've found that I usually get equal amounts of action if I lead out (it could check to the button, or even check through), but I'm more likely to be raised on the turn by someone making an overpair or worse 2 pair, which enables me to get more in. Obviously, didn't work so well here, although a flop CR wasn't going to make her fold her OESD, so I was screwed either way.

Is a K5JA board too scary to reraise?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
She showed me QT for the straight, and the table berated me for reraising with a possible straight out there. After the cap, I knew I was beat, but I don't think I can fold for one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] the table, your playing 3/6 Live, that says enough. These same people wouldn't raise two pair because they are afraid of a possible set.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't try to CR on the flop because I've found that I usually get equal amounts of action if I lead out (it could check to the button, or even check through), but I'm more likely to be raised on the turn by someone making an overpair or worse 2 pair, which enables me to get more in. Obviously, didn't work so well here, although a flop CR wasn't going to make her fold her OESD, so I was screwed either way.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a good hand, bet the flop. If you go for a check raise, the hands you want to fold (OESD) aren't going to and the bad hands that are dead or almost dead that you want to stick around are going to fold.