Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Guaranteed EV Play for Small Limit NLHE

I play anywhere from 1/2 to 5/10 depending on how many games I am playing and whether I am concentrating or not.

However, when I play 1/2 to 2/4 I will raise almost every single time if folded to me on the button. I will keep doing it until someone calls me out on it on a consistent basis. It doesnt matter what cards I hold. The only time I wont is if my hand is awful and there is no chance of a fold.

For a 1/2 game I raise to $7 and for a $2/$4 game I will raise to $14.

If it is folded to me in the SB then I do the identical thing and if it is folded to SB and they complete I will automatically raise to $7 or $14 in the BB.

This is a guaranteed money maker. In the thousand hours I have played at this stake I can think of only one time where I am positive someone played back at me (they showed). You will take the pot down well over 60% in the button and over 75% in the blinds. If you get called with your 7,2o so what. You have made enough on the free blinds, you will have position (expect in the SB), and you can outplay your opponent on the flop (if you are good).

The only time that you are trouble is when you run into people that will play back at you.

So, on the flip side, if you suspect someone doing this to you, do not call. Fire back at them for $21 or $42 or set them in if they are short stacked. Likely they will not be on a hand and will fold. If not, you might get lucky.

Just my two cents as this is something I have noticed every time I play. It just seems that players at this limit will not risk their chips when they suspect you are bluffing.

Maybe someone has posted this before but I dont really go into this forum so I dont know. I apologize if this is redundant information.

Picking up those blinds can be a huge part of your profit.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Guaranteed EV Play for Small Limit NLHE

Isn't this standard strategy, especially shorthanded?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 PM

Since when is there a problem with posting something that is correct standard strategy here?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM

No problem. I was basically reinforcing his post.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:35 PM

If I'm in a low limit NL game where its folded to me on the button often, I find a different table.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:06 PM

That's a good point. Table selection is key.

(And go Pats, Sox, Bs and Cs!)
Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 PM

Ya. Wouldn't it seem more profitable for you if you have more people coming in with you on the flop? I mean for example in a small stakes NLHE you have players who are weaker players and some of which just can't get away from their strong holdings. So for example if you were to call someone down who had a high PP and you have a smaller one and hit a set on the flop, then it your implied odds would be very large. Same with lots of people coming in on the flop. When you do flop a very strong hand your implied odds are huge. Is this the kind of correct thinking when playing small stakes NLHE?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Oh and just to add some substance to my other flippant response. If you're in a table so tight that the button is opening the action frequently, you can often raise any two cards from any position and show a profit (presuming you can outplay your opponents post flop). Tables like this are often uber-weak-tight and, just because you got called preflop doesn't mean they won't lay down their TPTK to your "obvious" set (when you really have offsuit garbage).

The rare times somebody looks you up are more than compensated for by all the little pots you pick up and the few large ones when you make two pair with J4o versus your opponent's QQ.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Yes. The reason I posted it is because I am absolutely shocked how many players dont do this in low limit NLHE. I see way too much button or cutoff limping and I am so rarely raised by an opening bet by the small blind.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:05 PM

I like playing a tight table and I dont mind picking up a lot of pots. I am also very comfortable in one on one situations with weak players, which you often find on tighter tables.

To your other comment, You can raise from many other positions of a really weak tight table but I usually like a little something in my hand as the odds of getting called go up and you are out of position.