Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 02:10 PM

Default RGP analysis brilliance, Fossilman

though I get the sense this poster was being sarcastic, given the thread author

http://tinyurl.com/5xd2f

<font color="green">Scooby Feb 21, 1:31 pm
Subject: Re: Why moneymaker has nothing to do with the poker craze

1. Moneymaker is singlehandedly responsible for the current poker boom.
2. This year's ESPN production was below par, both in production and the final result (Raymer is no Moneymaker). </font>

I know that hurts, Fossilman.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: RGP analysis brilliance, Fossilman

[ QUOTE ]
though I get the sense this poster was being sarcastic, given the thread author

http://tinyurl.com/5xd2f

<font color="green">Scooby Feb 21, 1:31 pm
Subject: Re: Why moneymaker has nothing to do with the poker craze

1. Moneymaker is singlehandedly responsible for the current poker boom.
2. This year's ESPN production was below par, both in production and the final result (Raymer is no Moneymaker). </font>

I know that hurts, Fossilman.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that really hurts is the production value of the commercials they are in together. I'm sure they are definitely getting paid enough that looking a bit silly in the commercials doesn't mean much to them, but those commercials are horrible.

As for the actual quotes contents:

Shrug, that is about par for RGP these days. At least the author made it to two bullets without repeating though.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:22 AM

It's true, Raymer IS no Moneymaker. Here's why.

#1 MM was the first player ever to have such a significant portion of his play during a tournament captured with hole cards showing.
#2 His name is perfect.
#3 He had the "everyman" quality about him. Accountant from tennessee. Sure, fossilman is patent attorney from new england(?), but he's also a top foxwoods player at 100-200.
#4 MM's performance climaxed at the perfect time, 1 hand before the final shown hand. Fossilman's climax, while more satisfying for the viewer, came 3-4 episodes sooner.
#4 MM had a lot of great give and take hands shown. Fossilman had about 4.
#5 MM had David vs. Goliath going for him. Fossilman SLEW David, literally AND figuratively David.
#6 MM had a great Aw Shucks quality about him. Fossilman comes off as kind of a smart nerd who has accepted his nerdiness.
#7 MM was the first, therefore there can be only one.

The rest of the post is dumb. He had a part in it, although it was just as much/more ESPN and WPT doing so much coverage, along with the hole card cams and Positively Fifth street. If it was up to me, )and since it's my post it is..), i'd put the credit %'s as;

50% Massive WPT/WSOP coverage
30% Hole card cams
10% Chris Moneymaker.
5% Positively Fifth street.
5% Viability and availability of poker in the internet

The production levels were ok, just too much preflop allin races shown and not enough "play". Most of the nuts stuff was unnecessary and unwanted. The final result was the best man won. What more do they want?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:38 PM

I agree with almost everything Daliman said. I would argue that Rounders deserves at least 5% somewhere in that breakdown by percentage, possibly more.

I think it is fair to say Moneymaker would not have been at the WSOP main event without Rounders.

One more point when comparing Moneymaker's fame to Fossilman's, I thought ESPN told a much more compelling story in 2003 than 2004. Maybe because they devoted 2 hours to the final table, or maybe the play just happened to be more interesting in 2003.

KennyBanya
Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 PM

That's gold Kenny! GOLD!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:06 PM

I think Fossilman's final table only lasted for about 40 hands or so, right? Not much to work with there.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Good points. Coupla precent from WPT/WSOP to rounders, although it was 5 years or so earlier.

I'll take ya ta Mende's, BUT THIS IS DINNER!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM

I'd also add that Sammy Farha has very nice villain air about him. A 27(?) year old accountant slays a persian dark character in an epic battle in the middle of a desert. This is the stuff straight from Arabian Nights.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:35 AM

I agree: Farha was a character straight out of central casting...in fact, if the 2003 WSOP was a movie, I would have laughed at the cliches and dismissed it as B.S.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 PM

Poker is where it is at now for 2 reasons pocket cams and rounders. Everything now is a direct result of pocket cams. The 50% you gave for tv coverage is a direct result of poket cams. And I would give 10% to moneymaker, 10% to rounders,and the rest to pocket cams. (Possibly more to rounders). Raymer is a excellent player and better than moneymaker, but just because he posts here lets not worship him. Lets be honest he was boring, nerdy, and lucky. I found his play interesting, but it got a little repetitive seeing him win every race again and again. He just got extremely lucky which got a little boring.