Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Working on my game, a few hands.

I've never called down with Ace high (a leak in my game I am sure), and while I dont want to make too big of a habit of it tonight I decided I would do just that if I found a laggy opponent that I have seen betting junk.

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Table was pretty weak tight, with a couple of lags to my left. CO has shown down some junk on the river.
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I have the nut flush draw + 2 overs (which I discount because of the 3 to a flush call it 3-4.5 extra outs) I think a check/ call here is fine. Thoughts?

<font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Paired the board, and no help. BD straight draw goes away. Still have a flush draw + 2 overs (not sure how good they are at this point) . I check / call. Thoughts?

River: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Missed everything. I can only beat a very loose pre-flop call, which is exactly what I put the CO on, but it is really questionable. I decide that 7 BB's (well 8 BB's with the COs bet) is big enough and that I am going to try out calling with Ace high, weak/ok kicker.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Thoughts?

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

I've loosened up my pf standards a little, I normally dont play JTo (suited with a lot of people in the pot, I play it in LP, off suit I usually toss it), but from the CO, with little chance of a raise, I decide to see a flop.
Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

I hate the flop, I'm hoping someone is on a 4 to a flush draw. I raise to see where I am at. 2 callers. Not good.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

I want to see a showdown cheap, and Im pretty sure this is an attempted check raise. If another spade comes I fold.

Turn: (5 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

No spade, but a bet and fold. Either a busted draw representing a flush or he has it. I think I got to a showdown with this hand as cheap as I could. Thoughts?

River: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Last one, I'm not thrilled with the way I played this hand. A little too weak, I think if I had position I would have played it differently.

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (10.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

All comments appreciated.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Working on my game, a few hands.

If you go through this thought process during the hand than I expect you to be very successful in the future. This is great self analysis and your questions are great. Alot of new posters I've seen recently could learn from this.

That said, a common theme in your hands is "too weak" as you mention in hand 3. It seems to me you are fearing the worst (ex: fearing a turn CR in hand 2).

In hand 1 I would always bet this flop, you are the preflop raiser, that is a good flop for you, and if everyone folds and you win with Ace high it is fantastic. It totally changes the way the rest of the hand plays out. But in general, I would fold the river, as I almost never find picking off a bluff to be a decent strategy against mostly clueless opponents.

Hand 2: this is a bad spot to open up your standards. For one, your not the button, if it gets raised behind you you will kicking yourself. For two, there is only one limper, this isn't going to be a big pot where your drawing type of hand will do well. For three, if you were going to play this hand a raise would be better to try and isolate the presumably weak limper. After that, you simply must bet this turn. Giving a free card to single spades is awful. If you get CRed, you get CRed, and then you can decide what to do based on that. But you must protect your hand from draws, checking behind gives them infinite odds to beat you.

In hand 3 I would at the very least bet the turn and see if I get raised before going into call down mode. You flopped top two, one measly flush card shouldn't make you completely clam up like this.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-22-2005, 05:24 AM

Hand 1: Bet the flop.

Hand 2: Bet the turn. If check-raised, I'd fold. I think you give up value not beating here.

Hand 3: You have to bet here (on the turn). If you're raised on the turn, call and check call the river unimproved.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks all, great advice, I will re-read what you have to say and take it to heart.

Hand 1: Villian has KTo
Hand 2: Villian has Qs3s for a flopped flush
Hand 3: Villian had AKo for TPTK

The basic issue I see from your advice is that I am assuming too much, keep betting until I am given a reason not to.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:53 PM

I just want to comment that I agree with the donkey and the leader in all respects.

In spite of the results in hand 1, I am going to reiterate that calling down rivers with A-high is usually not a profitable endeavor. The hand also plays out completely differently if you lead the flop.

And that was one oddly played flush.