Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Don\'t fold (relatively) Large Pots for 1 BB with a good hand?

I spent a good chunk of Thursday reading/learning, and a good chunk of Friday 1-tabling in an effort to improve my game in the midst of a 100 BB downswing. I *swore* I was playing g00t, just getting hyper-sucked out on. Kept telling myself variance, small sample size, etc.

One of the posts I read a few times was the infamous Ed "You fold too much" post. I tried to take that to heart. On Saturday, I came across this hand on Party .5/1...

[no HH, so so converter/prettiness, going from Memory]

Hero is in LP with KK, gets a few limpers, raises, limpers call.

Flops is 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], hero curses his luck under his breath (neither of his Ks are diamonds) EP limper bets into me, I raise, bettor only calls. It's heads up (or close to that, no one else was important) between me and bettor (LP-P).

Turn Comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Hero shakes his head. EP bettor bets again, Hero *knows* he's beat at this point, calls. It's definitely Heads-Up by the river.

The River is a Blank. EP Bettor Bets. Hero is *sure* his Kings are beat, Villan *must* have one Diamond, any ace, or something like KT. Hero wants to fold so bad, but is getting about 10:1 on this call. Hero crying calls.

Villan shows QTo (no diamond) for a pair of Queens. MHIG. Hero drags a 12BB Pot.

I can't believe it, type "nh" in the chat box, and LP-P leaves the table.

The Lesson I learned: It's hard to beleive this until you really experience it, I think...but Calling that river bet and losing the hand would have cost me 1 BB. Folding that hand b/c I was *sure* I was beat would have cost me 12BB.
[Cue Star Animation and text- "The More You Know"]

Just wanted to share...
Old 02-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Don\'t fold (relatively) Large Pots for 1 BB with a good hand?

Fold the turn?
Old 02-21-2005, 03:40 PM

That 12BB will let you call down the turn and river in similar situations 6 times. As long as you are pleasantly surprised one time in those 6, you profit.

I think that you'll see 2nd or 3rd pair here enough to make it profitable at $.5/$1 and below.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That 12BB will let you call down the turn and river in similar situations 6 times. As long as you are pleasantly surprised one time in those 6, you profit.

I think that you'll see 2nd or 3rd pair here enough to make it profitable at $.5/$1 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know for certain that the villain is a lag then no, you will not see someone without a flush or an Ace 1 in 6 times.

Even the times you are still miraculously ahead there is still 9 cards to draw for the split.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:04 PM

There were 3 ways the board could beat you on the turn. Depending on how big the pot was, I would have let it go at the turn.

It's not just "don't fold for 1 bet," its "don't fold for 1 bet on the river." If you call the turn, you are effectively committing yourself to a showdown and therefore paying at least 2 bets. If there are other opponents and you arent closing the action, you could be paying more.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:13 PM

With no HH, I'm pulling it from memory. Q on the turn may not have been a Diamond.