Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Borgata 6-12 snowmen

The button is very aggressive preflop. He'll 3-bet Axo from LP. He's a little less aggressive postflop, but it's been a passive table and he only sat down about an hour ago at most, so I don't have a great read on his postflop play.

It's folded to me in MP and I raise my 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the CO cold-calls 2 (he's terrible and cold-calls a lot), Button 3-bets, blinds fold, I call, and the CO calls.

The flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : <font color="blue">(10.5 SB)</font>
I check, CO checks, Button bets, I raise, CO folds, Button 3-bets, I call.

The turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : <font color="blue">(8 BB)</font>
I check, Button bets, I call.

River is a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] : <font color="blue">(10 BB)</font>
I think and reach to bet... the dealer thought I checked and the Button bets out. I think about arguing, but decided to raise, Button 3-bets, I fold.

I could bet out on the flop and expect a raise from the Button and maybe trap the CO, but I wanted him to lay down his overcard(s). I wanted to bet the river because I didn't want it checked through. If I did bet out and he raised, should I have called or folded? I think it's a much easier fold after I was 3-bet.

How should I have played it differently?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Borgata 6-12 snowmen

depending on how aggro he is i might have folded to the flop 3 bet. I dunno about the river fold.

Its better to make folds early in the hand. Once you made it that far, i can't see laying down for 1 bet even if you are a big dog to win the pot.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:24 PM

No fold! Dude what do you think he hit? Capp the flop lead the turn and call down if raised.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 PM

Don't you think he'd 3-bet with A8? Are you that sure he has your straight beat? You're getting 15:1. It's a judgement call and you were there so I really can't argue it but it seems odd to lay an 8 down heads up here. I do agree that it would be unusual for him to 3-bet with equal or worse hands.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 PM

I don't think you can fold this river, especially against an opponent who looks loose and is most likely agressive.
I would be more inclined to 4-bet the river than fold to the 3-bet, but would just call down.

Its very unlikely that he has a flush, cause that would mean he 3-bet you with something AK hearts. So you're only worried about a boat, but I could see this opponent playing an overpair the same way.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:41 PM

I thought about folding the flop, but figured it was one of those call and fold the turn unimproved or if an overcard hit hands. I improved on the turn, so I went from there.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Yes, I do think he'd 3-bet A8s (and maybe even on the river if his suits weren't hearts). If I would have bet into him on the river, I would have called a raise. As it turns out, at the time, I thought it wasn't a bad fold to a re-raise. Since I didn't have a great read on his post-flop play, maybe a call was in order.

About a half hour later, he 3-bet me prefop in LP again and slowed down post-flop on a ten high board. So it made me think that I made a good fold on the first hand. Still... is this an easier call that I think it is?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM

I think you have to call this river. You can easily be splitting here. He might even be getting overaggro with A7 (though he could also have TT, 99.)

I just don't think you're sure enough to fold getting 15:1.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:00 PM

Come to think of it, I didn't think he'd make the play with A8s without the hearts or diamonds. I really thought the only thing I could beat was A7. Even with as aggro as he seemed preflop, I couldn't see a 3-bet with just an A high and no draw after a checkraise on the flop.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still... is this an easier call that I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that you yourself are unsure means you probably should have called. If you said you knew the opponent and were sure he doesn't 3-bet with anything you beat then, again, I couldn't argue. Keep in mind too that you raised preflop and he's probably not likely to put you on anything with an 8. That being said, I wouldn't say it's an easy call.