Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 04:52 AM

Default too afraid of the CR?

When I was the last to show aggression and the river completes a draw or two, I like to check through rather than bet/call and definitely rather than bet/fold. I think it saves more than is readily apparent when I'm behind because it makes people feel like chumps for their tricky play and encourages them to play more straighforwardly against me.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 AM

Default Re: too afraid of the CR?

Flush draws would raise the flop. This is the easiest value bet ever. Regardless what the result of this hand was, if you aren't value betting this river, you are leaving a lot of money on the table.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 AM

Raise the flop, bet the river.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:58 AM

This is how we want them to play their hands. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You missed 2 super easy value bets/raises in this hand.

Brad
Old 02-21-2005, 05:01 AM

Er, yeah, I should have said I know about the flop problem in the original post. Just wondering if my river play was bad as well. Which apparently it was.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:00 AM

It was. Aces will call here, many Queens will, the amount of bets you gain in the long run when they do call will far outweigh the 2BB you lose if you get checkraised by a flush occasionally.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was. Aces will call here, many Queens will, the amount of bets you gain in the long run when they do call will far outweigh the 2BB you lose if you get checkraised by a flush occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks -- I still have more question though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Do you assign any value to encouraging this opponent to play more straightforwardly with you?

Also, what are your thoughts on results-oriented thinking alright when trying to figure out what players will and won't do? That's pretty much what reads are I think, and I don't know any other way to think about or discover the "default read" than thinking about the results.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop, bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

n1