Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 AM

Default blind defensery

In another thread I recently learned that I am not defending my blinds nearly enough. I fold roughly 78% of the time to a blind steal according to PT. But I'm not going to call with a weak hand just to defend my blinds. Or should I?

It was always my understanding that blind defense is not essential in these low limit games (the majority of my PT stats come from 3/6).

I did a search and read some threads but I was wondering if anyone here had a great thread or two stashed away on blind defense.

I would be grateful if someone could toss a link my way.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: blind defensery

I second that. I'd love to hear comments on appropriate numbers.

I'm relatively new to the PT world and still not familiar enough with it to understand most of the stats. But one thing that seems apparent is that my blind defense is pretty awful. It seems like some players have picked up on that fact at 5/10 and have attcked them more. My BB fold to steal number is ~73%. How's that sound?

-oats
Old 02-24-2005, 11:35 AM

I'm going to bump this because I think it is a good question and I am interested as well.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 AM

check out the latter half of this thread
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 AM

I think that any 2 suited cards in the Big blind is Okay to call heads up against the blind steal. Depending on the player. If that player is not known to steal blinds and is a rock I would figure fold but if everytime your in a blind and late position or button raises I beleive it is okay to call heads up with any 2 suited cards. See if you improve and move on from there. Any 2 broadway cards would be a call or a reraise against opponents that often steal the blinds. You will find that the blind stealer will then change his play torwards you in that situation and find yourself not having to call a raise in the BB or SB. Sometimes the initial cost will help you at the table in the coming hours.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that any 2 suited cards in the Big blind is Okay to call heads up against the blind steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck.

I call with a decent range of hands against a steal raise, but calling with any two suited is -EV. Suitedness doesn't add that much value in a HU pot.

Rob
Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 PM

But, at the same time, almost no hand is a 10:3 dog against a blind-steal raise. I generally need a little more than any two suited to make up for my lack of position, but i'm not overly tight either, and i'm more likely to call with middle connecters or 1-gappers than a weak ace or low suited king.

-d
Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, at the same time, almost no hand is a 10:3 dog against a blind-steal raise. I generally need a little more than any two suited to make up for my lack of position, but i'm not overly tight either, and i'm more likely to call with middle connecters or 1-gappers than a weak ace or low suited king.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I'm just stating that I think defending with Q4s is pretty bad. The same goes for T2s and 94s and such.

Suited connectors and one gappers are much better in defense situations than "any two suited."

Also, we have to remember that it isn't really a matter of being/not being a 10:3 dog preflop -- position weighs in so heavily, since it's hard in these defense situations to get in more bets when ahead and lose less bets when behind.