Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Believed I played this AA very poorly

Well...please rip this to pieces...

BB is loose aggressive and UTG is loose passive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 02-20-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Believed I played this AA very poorly

Given the diamonds and the 4-way aspect of this hand, I think you have to raise the flop.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:46 PM

Raise the flop. The entire hand plays different from there so I don't really know what else to say.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:48 PM

Based on your reads of your opponents, I think you got preflop right. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, though...it's a very rare flop that I will not raise and cap with AA. If the LAG wants to bluff at having a K, fine--use that to charge your diamond draws and hopefully knock out any single [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hands out there (like your LP UTG, holding A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). It's going to take a flop cap and BB betting into me on the turn before I even think about giving him credit for a K.

Given that you did not raise the flop and you act last on the turn, I don't mind the call there so much. I think it would have played out much differently had you raised the flop, though.

When a loose/passive player bets a 4-flush board on the river, you don't have a diamond in your hand, and you still have the only guy who's shown any aggression postflop yet to act behind you, I wouldn't feel too badly about folding my aces.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:49 PM

If you were thinking of this post then I think you need to remember that its heads up.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the LAG wants to bluff at having a K, fine--use that to charge your diamond draws

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this nonsense about charging diamond draws? For every bet that goes into this 4-way pot, diamond draws make money. They put in 25% of the pot with 35% equity. They are happy when you raise.

I'd still raise this flop, but for other reasons. I probably have the best hand at the moment and I'd like to be paid for that.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Hmmm?

I don't see the correlation. What are you talking about?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this nonsense about charging diamond draws? For every bet that goes into this 4-way pot, diamond draws make money. They put in 25% of the pot with 35% equity. They are happy when you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where pot equity can get confusing. As I understand it (and I may be wrong, please correct me if I am)...

Assuming that we're right and BB does not have the K (or 77) and Hero's hand is good, a single flush draw would have about 35% equity (a little less, I think, because of the paired board, but no matter). But Hero would have a much higher equity in the pot than the flush draw--closer to 60%, I would guess. So while a raise technically makes a flush draw money, it makes Hero more money. And anyone with two dimaonds will gladly pay it.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:19 PM

That's the way I see it too. They're making money, but they're not making it from YOU.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the way I see it too. They're making money, but they're not making it from YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both you and Harv should read this thread for the response at the bottom of Page 1 by Ed Miller. He explains it very well.