Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 04:59 PM

Default How much poor play can you stick into one hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($9.50)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($5.60)</font>
UTG ($8)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($37.30)</font>
<font color="#C00000">MP1 ($25.90)</font>
MP2 ($7.15)
CO ($14.90)
Button ($4.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.5</font>, BB calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $1.5</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, SB calls $1, BB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

Preflop standard? I marked SB's min raise on some sort of pot building small to medium pair. When MP1 reraised an additional dollar from previous history at this table, I marked him with a big hand.. had to be at least QQ/KK/AA/AK. Yet it seemed strange he was willing to limp in on a table where pots were not being raised a lot preflop, if he did indeed have a big hand. I wasn't crazy about calling the re-raise, since I'm out of position but AJ suited plays pretty well in a multiway pot and I was getting sufficient implied odds here, no?

Flop: ($6.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $15.4</font>, SB folds, BB calls $3.10 (All-In), Hero calls $15.40.

Not sure what BB has, but he has so little in his stack that I didn't consider it overly relevant. My biggest concern was the guy behind me who I had marked with the big hand. I had raised him twice in the last 15 minutes... each time he called me down and was shown a set/boat. Given that, I decided to make a play at this pot, to gamble it up a little bit because frankly, I've been playing so tight that I get very little action. Problem is, what about my raise amount? I picked that amount becaues it would force the SB to call all-in as well. I also would raise the same amount had I flopped a set on that board, and that particular player knew it as well, so I could move him off a pair easily enough. (although would undoubtably would be surprised to see me NOT have a set for a change!)

When MP1 re-raised all-in, the SB folded (as I figured), and the BB called (maybe a good draw or a set?), I had to really stop and think about how I had committed myself.

There was now $44 in the pot, and it was $15.40 for me to call. Had this strictly been a heads up deal, I think obviously a fold is warranted (as well as not quite a large reraise on the flop), but with the sidepot to contest as well.... what do you do? Worst case scenario, MP1 has aces and my outs are reduced to only the flush draw. If he has queens or kings, I'm still quite live.. even a slight backdoor straight possibility there.

Turn: ($50.40) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($50.40) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.40
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $18.80, between BB, Hero and MP1.</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: $31.60, between Hero and MP1.</font>

Actual hands for the opponents will follow later.. don't want to spoil guessing here. There was an error in the converter too..MP1 raised $15.40 to $24.40 all-in, not raised to $15.40. So the the main pot was still $18.80 and the side pot was like $40.