Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Default 4/8 foxwoods hand

Foxwoods 4/8 weekday afternoon, tough game for this level, but still pretty soft. I get AQo UTG and raise, on my left a young pretty friendly guy 3bets it. He's been playing very tight, hasn't been getting many playable hand, he says. In fact, neither have I, and I imagine he's noticed. All fold to me and I call. Flop is AJx rainbow, I check and call, deciding that I might fold the turn. Turn is another J, I check and call, for no good reason other than "hey, maybe he's on a mild tilt from all this folding and can't let his KK go or maybe he's got AQ and we chop". River is a blank, I check with the intention of calling.

Now I'm wondering if I should have folded this at some point. I figured the flop was OK to peel one off since he'll probably bet with anything here, but the turn... I don't know.

Bob
Old 02-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 4/8 foxwoods hand

I think you should probably just bet out on the flop, and keep going until he pushes back. You arn't always behind, and there is a lot of money in that pot.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:29 PM

I would check and call the flop and the turn, and bet the river.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should probably just bet out on the flop, and keep going until he pushes back. You arn't always behind, and there is a lot of money in that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much money is this likely to make against a tight player who 3-bet you preflop? If he gives you action, you're beat often. If you're ahead, he'll fold often.

Rob
Old 02-20-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it loses the least to hands like AA, AK and JJ, and wins the most from KK, QQ, and TT.

If you know something about this guy's postflop play, like he won't bet KK on this turn card, then a fold could be argued for somewhere, but I don't see us konwing enough about our opponent to be looking to lay down TP2K here.

Rob
Old 02-20-2005, 05:04 PM

I still don't see the point in leading the river with no indication of how strong villain's hand is. I wasn't advocating laying the hand down. Just test the waters earlier, and if you haven't, don't waste a river bet on a hand that beats you.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't see the point in leading the river with no indication of how strong villain's hand is. I wasn't advocating laying the hand down. Just test the waters earlier, and if you haven't, don't waste a river bet on a hand that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river bet is because TT, KK and QQ will usually check behind. Checking the river fails to extract value from those hands. On the river, AK will rarely raise, but AA and JJ will -- so you can safely fold to a raise here. So you pay the same amount of bets, but extract more when ahead.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:11 PM

OK...I guess that makes sense, but I still couldn't see playing it that way myself. What's the story on your location BTW?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK...I guess that makes sense, but I still couldn't see playing it that way myself. What's the story on your location BTW?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play hands like this more aggressively, then was introduced to the "way ahead/way behind" line, which I think applies here very well. There are situations where I modify the river play based on what I know about my opponent, but check/call, check/call, bet is a line that generally works very well in these situations.

Rob