Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 PM

Default flopped set multiway on monotone board vs a weak/passive player

2-4 NL live. I haven't played a hand in almost an hour due to bad situations. Everytime I even think about mixing it up there is a raise and a 3-bet in front of me. Villain has played for a while and mostly limps, cold calls, and folds. Haven't seen him do anything else. Only other hand against him was when I raised EP with AK to $16, he called, flop was ace high with 2 clubs, I bet like 3/4 of the pot and he called that bet of like $25 which left him with $40 behind him, turn was another ace, I put him all-in and he called with Q6c and sucked out.

So I'm sitting with $360 in front of me and limp UTG with 55. Villain on my left limps($550), 1 other limper, MP tighty McWhitey($450) makes it $40 to go, button cold calls, blinds fold, everyone calls. $200 pot.

flop is 5 Q 8 all spades. I check, villain bets $30 and amazingly it's folded back to me. action?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: flopped set multiway on monotone board vs a weak/passive player

Take your time, then call. Do this to encourage a larger turn bet. Call the turn. Min-Raise or 2x raise the river (to get the most money out of this hand).

-Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM

seeing as how no one else cares, thanks for the reply Knyte. I narrowed it down to calling the flop and leading the turn if its another spade, since there is zero chance he raises me there without the ace of spades, or c/ring all-in on a non-spade turn. My other option was just to c/r all-in on the flop, which I did, he insta-called with 97s (not what I expected) and I got no help.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:45 AM

it helps to know what type of hands villain will do what he did on the flop, which is seriously underbet the flop after raising PF. usually they either whiffed completely, i.e. he has red AK, or he nailed the flop. sometimes, though, its only one or the other.

i probably would have checkraised small on the flop, to 90 or so. against a better player, i might CR all in to make it look like i had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. as it turned out, it didnt matter, all the money was going in the middle on the flop or a non spade turn anyway.