Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Default I got berated for this

After the CO called I figured I'd take a look. It was a pretty loose table and I figured even if the poster folded the BB would see the flop.

Anyone have any problem with any of this?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds.

River: (18.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 20.16 BB
Old 02-19-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: I got berated for this

i don't think you can cold call with 55. maybe i'm wrong.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:45 PM

No one ever really deserves a berating, but I don't like your pre-flop call or your flop call.

Pre-flop the action is 7:2 to you (8:2 if your read on BB calling is accurate). One of the "limps" is from a poster who may very well fold to the raise. That's a big shortfall to make up for your 7.5 to 1 shot of flopping a set. I think you can make a case for cold-calling (at least with your position), but I don't like it here.

On the flop, how you you find the odds to call? You're getting 12 to 1 with a small chance of a C/R from MP1. I don't think you can give your BDFD much of anything since it is a one card 5-high draw. At best you have 2.5 outs, I'd say. That was a fishy call.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:45 PM

I don't like the pre-flop call, but really think the flop call is pretty awful.

You are almost certainly behind, and on the off chance you are ahead a great number of cards can come to beat you. The fives are probably pretty clean, but your back-door flush to the 5-high one card flush isn't really worth anything.

2 outs, not getting anywhere near 22-1, fold it.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:14 PM

If you had a straight draw in addition to the 2 5 outs, I might consider seeing the turn, but I think otherwise you have to drop it 4-way.

With three people in front of you going to the turn (not counting the 1.16BB in the pot from posters plus potential calls) in front of you, and without you closing the action, I'd call the PF call thin but not bad.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:18 PM

You were giving money away until you hit one of your outs. You should add up your profit on this hand and compare it to what you will more often lose with this play.

That said, getting berated is fun.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:22 PM

I know other posters have objected to the preflop and flop play. But while those plays may be a little loose, I don't really think they're so bad.

The preflop cold-call, I suspect, is borderline. It looks like Hero will have at least three opponents and maybe more. And if only three other people play, there will at least be some dead money in the pot to somewhat compensate for the reduction in implied odds. Also, if Hero does end up with just three opponents, his chances of winning unimproved do go up a little bit (though I certainly wouldn't count on winning unimproved).

On the flop, I don't think Hero should assume he's behind. Maybe it's a fold anyway, but MP2 could be betting overcards, and CO may just have a draw. There is some chance (though perhaps slight) that, if Hero is ahead, the turn will get checked to him on a blank, when he can consider betting. I think this possibility and also Hero's implied odds do at least partially make up for his not actually having the odds to call and chase a set. (Also, since Hero holds the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he doesn't have to worry about catching a set when someone else makes a flush.)
Old 02-19-2005, 05:37 PM

PF----Six bets with two with one to call. Call it 7:2 if you flop a set will you be pay off for cold call? Yes. I like the call.

Flop---I dont like it. You are either ahead or behind. Ahead you raise and behing you dont have odds.

Turn---fine.

River---fine.. What do you do if you are checkraised?

MP2 have overpair?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:39 PM

MP2 is a moron, I never stop betting here.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:44 PM

With that read, then you might have been ahead the whole time.

SWUSC