Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Aces Full

5/10 NL 1k to start hand for each player

I am in the BB with Ac4h. There are 2 limpers and the SB completes. The flop is AhAs6c. I check, 1st limper bets 20, it's folded to me, and I raise to 70.00. I am called. I assume this player to be solid; I think he's a regular player in this game. The turn card is the 6s. I check, and the other player bets 120. I call. River is Kc. I check. Other player goes all in (big overbet).
Old 02-19-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Aces Full

That's really tough. Depending on how aggressive this player is I would think he would reraise the flop with AK...rather than letting a lower ace draw to a boat. As well as the fact he would had to limp with AK or 66 here to beat you. I think you are right to call here enough times to be profitable.

This is such a tough decision, I'm really interested in seeing the results later.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 AM

I do not see your opponent firing 120 with quads here at all...in fact the better play if hes got you on ace is to check trap you not fire 120.00, this could easily be a weak ace or AK...the thing is if you read him for AK fold and if you feel its anything else I would call in a flash. Let us not forget some donkeys would play KK this way as well in this spot...

Kid
Old 02-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Your approach to the hand after he calls you on the flop has put you on the defensive and he comes after ya in what is highly likely to be a chop situation. It's tough because it's not any better to get all in for 1k on the turn while he's freerolling to 3 outs. (clearly his most likely hand is another ace with a kicker that probably is higher than 6) The basic problem with situations like this is that if you check the river he can go all in with near impunity in chop situations. I'm also waiting on the advice from some more seasoned veterans as to how to approach chopping situations like this in small pots because when you call and he shows you ak you really look like the donkey.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Would you raised preflop with AK? Does your opponent know this?
Old 02-19-2005, 06:58 PM

"Would you raised preflop with AK? Does your opponent know this?"

Yes I would have raised with A King. I am not aware that my opponent knows that but he probably knows I wouldn't check Aces full of Kings on the river, and more than likely he knows most players do raise with ace king.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Would you raised preflop with AK? Does your opponent know this?"

Yes I would have raised with A King. I am not aware that my opponent knows that but he probably knows I wouldn't check Aces full of Kings on the river, and more than likely he knows most players do raise with ace king.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes it all the more likely that he has Ax and knows that he is chopping, and thus is trying to push you off your hand.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm calling here a 100% of the time, expecting to chop. I'm just not letting someone slap me around in this spot.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Default results

I folded on the river. Villain did not show his hand.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 PM

doesn't it matter how big the overbet is? if he bets 10x the pot it's a pretty bad move to call here...