Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 09:38 PM

Default On the bubble calling all in

Antes at 500, blinds 2000/4000 - 9 handed
I'm in seat 6, BB is seat 2

I have 7000 in chips after posting the ante

UTG goes all in for 10,000 chips - he's made this move before with Ax - I put him on anything from A2-AK and he looks like he's not too happy about getting a call

I see 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP - rest of the table and the blinds don't look like they want to play for this pot. I call.

My reasoning behind calling is that the antes are killing me, the blinds are coming, and I have almost no ability to win a hand preflop because I have less than 2x bb. (I'll have even less next hand). If my read is correct, I'm anywhere from a 55/45 - 65/35 dog heads up which is the key here, because the UTG's all in is the best chance I probably will have at getting a heads up pot before the blinds hit me. So I called all in mostly because he did first, offering me some protection.

Is my thinking okay here, or was I wrong and I should have folded?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: On the bubble calling all in

The better question is why did you wait this long to get your chips in? Bad beat? Ultra tight? Just wondering.

Either way, now that this is the situation you are getting good pot odds (2.5:1) to make the call, and don't have time to wait around for a premium hand.

The problem is, take it down and you'll have 17500, which still puts you in a desperate position.

Anyway, you have to call here.

Pulp [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: On the bubble calling all in

If my read is correct, I'm anywhere from a 55/45 - 65/35 dog heads up which is the key here

If your read is correct. If he has 99 or better, you're a 4-1 Dog.

-Scott