Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Default River decision

After a long break from this game, decided to have a little fun in the 10/20-6.

Sit down at a table which I quickly realize is full of retards.

Two callers. I call in CO w/ QTo. Don't worry about whether this is a good call or not. That's not interesting. Button folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop 2s 5s Th

SB checks, BB bets, aggro UTG raises, I 3-bet. Call. Call. Call.

Turn (2s 5s Th) 6c

Checked to me. I bet. All call.

River (2s 5s Th 6c) 7s

SB checks. BB bets. UTG calls. Your move?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: River decision

[ QUOTE ]

. . .

SB checks. BB bets. UTG calls. Your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I call for one bet, which is probably a mistake. I have a lot of difficulty making the distinction between being behind 90% of the time and being behind 95% of the time. I mean, what did BB lead out with and coldcall two back to him on the flop with if not a flush draw?

Well, actually, who the hell knows? People coldcall early with lots o' crap in this game, and there have been more than a few times that I've checked from early position my top pair/two pair when the flush card hits on the river and the mooks have been coldcalling fiends earlier . . . only to find that it gets checked through completely and I take the pot.

But here, the BB woke up and bet the river. Could be a bluff . . . but hey, it's just one bet, right?

Right?

(Yes, it's an overcall . . . but . . .)
Old 02-18-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of difficulty making the distinction between being behind 90% of the time and being behind 95% of the time. I mean, what did BB lead out with and coldcall two back to him on the flop with if not a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to win ~7% of the time to make a call correct. I don't know what 3 players have in this spot, but if BB is capable of hijinks, then I call this. This is a very tough river decision.

Diablo: I'm glad to see that you are posting here again. I've learned a great deal from your posts.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM

I remember discussing a semi similar hand with you before. I don't recall the details but it was the same scenario - strange river bet out when you'd previously shown strength, and then a call by a player who you likely have beat. So you can almost put it down to your hand and the player who bet out. It would be completely illogical for the BB to bet out a worse hand after all the flop action, but I think you'll see such a play (thin/misapplied value bet) often enough to make this a call.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a lot of difficulty making the distinction between being behind 90% of the time and being behind 95% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to win ~7% of the time to make a call correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my problem . . . so if I'm behind 90% of the time, it's a call, but 95% of the time, it's a fold. I really suck quite a lot at making the distinction.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM

I'm not worried about UTG here. As for the BB, I see people bet out like this with a crappy top pair or middle pair just often enough that I'd want to call to look him up, though the profit might be thin.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:34 PM

I think you a fold here but its one of those situations where I'm not sure you give up much no matter what you do.

I would not be so quick to assume that you are ahead of both UTG and the SB. It is very possible that one of them made a flush, two pair with 75, or that the SB had you beat all along with AT or something.

In fact, the more I think about it, raising might be better than calling depending upon how frisky the BB is. But I like folding the best.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You have to win ~7% of the time to make a call correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose call.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:10 PM

with no read on BB, i call, planning to fold to a c/r. getting 14-1 outweighs the fact that tons of hands beat you
Old 02-18-2005, 07:20 PM

FWIW, I am 100% sure I have UTG beat here.