Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Bonus clearing, change your style???

So I'm off on my very first attempt to clear a party bonus, 500 raked hands for full payout. Do you play your usual "2+2" style when bonus clearing, or do you tighten up a little (or a lot). My current VPIP is 19, with a pfr of 7, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nate
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Bonus clearing, change your style???

Why would you play any differently?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Mostly cause i'm suffering through a 100BB downswing currently [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Honestly, I was just curious if anyone does sit and wait for monsters to play. I would get waaaaaaaay to bored, but I like to see other's thoughts.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:42 PM

100BB downswings are part of the game. The bonuses are nice to help compensate for those parts of the game.

Why would ever want to change your style of play for a bonus? You want to play winning poker whenever you play. So if your style sucks then try to improve your overall play. You make the real money from being a winning player...the bonuses are just icing and help cover the downswings.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would ever want to change your style of play for a bonus? You want to play winning poker whenever you play. So if your style sucks then try to improve your overall play. You make the real money from being a winning player...the bonuses are just icing and help cover the downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would play differently because:
- You are playing more tables to clear the bonus faster
- You drop down in limits to allow you to play more tables comfortably
- You go on long-ass marathon sessions to get the bonus cleared

If you are playing the same number of tables at the same limits for the same amount of time, then yes you should play your normal game. However, if Party and Empire both offer 7-day bonuses at the same time and you're strapped for time (or have other bonuses to clear as well), you may decide to take a break from your normal limit game and auto-pilot 4, 6, or 8 tables of 25NL in weak-tight mode. If you're crushing 15/30 obviously this would be a waste of time, but if you're grinding 1/2 it would probably be a better use of your time.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:46 PM

I think you should play right or not play at all.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the ticket.

Seriously though I notice I do have a tendency to play with more marginal hands when I'm clearing a bonus. I suppose it's the subconscious thought that I'll still be able to make a profit even if I don't play optimally.

I suppose it helps to think of the bonus as a backup in case you hit a downswing. Not a license to play suboptimally because you'll end up ahead in the end.

If you don't play well-you won't.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-18-2005, 04:36 PM

I never change my style of play when I'm bonus clearing - I use the same style of play whether I'm clearing a bonus or not. The only thing I do do differently is that I will usually drop down to 1/2 when I'm playing off a bonus at most Party Skins - I play 2/4 for "normal" play, but I would rather clear a bonus rapidly at 1/2 then get back to my normal site for playing 2/4.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:59 PM

I have a somewhat related question. Ive been bonus whoring for 3 months now and have done well with every bonus Ive done except for 3. One was on Party that was a $100 bonus and I lost $97 clearing it (no big deal). The other 2 were on empire for $150 each. Both times I lost over $300 clearing the stupid things so needless to say I am kinda hesitant to play the multi bonus since its the same tables/players. Ok, on to the question. I normally play the $25/NL ring tables, is it going to be easier to drop to the .50/1 limit tables and clear it or should I just chalk the two bonuses (both the biggest losing streaks) to bad runs and stick to $25 NL? I don't know what it is about Empire that hates me. Im $140 through the $300 bonus at Paradise and Im up over $300 and Ive probably made above $300 the 2 months Ive done Interpoker but Empire really hates me.