Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Severe PlayerView Performance Problems

I had been using GT+ but thought I'd give PlayerView a try. I run on Pentium 4 2.4gHz processor with 512M (maybe 1G?) of memory. I have two PT databases, one with about 70,000 of my hands and one with about 30,000 observed hands.

I was on 3 tables last night and suffered what I think are extreme performance problems. Sometimes response on my machine was so sluggish that it caused me to miss an action on one of the tables. No, I do not display my own stats.

Has anyone else seen it that bad with a comparable or more powerful computer?

(I realize I could ask this in the PV forums, but wanted to check here first to see if I am alone or if it's typical.)

Thanks,
JWP
Old 02-17-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Severe PlayerView Performance Problems

Its very not typical most people get better performance from PV than they do from GT+. My guess is something is set up wrong, why don't you give me an IM on AIM my name is l0lnix.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:45 PM

I've seen this since I first started using PlayerView. I made a few posts about it in some of the earlier PlayerView thread, but never resolved the problem. I appreciate the work that the programmers are doing, but right now PlayerView is unusable on my machine due to performance problems. This is the first time I've seen someone else post this.

I have a 3.4 GHz processor with 1 GB of RAM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM

What size are your databases?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen this since I first started using PlayerView. I made a few posts about it in some of the earlier PlayerView thread, but never resolved the problem. I appreciate the work that the programmers are doing, but right now PlayerView is unusable on my machine due to performance problems. This is the first time I've seen someone else post this.

I have a 3.4 GHz processor with 1 GB of RAM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something is definately wrong. I run a P3 1 GHz with 256mb of RAM (terribly old, i know) and playerview runs smoothly on my computer.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:07 AM

Try slowing down the rate at which PT checks hand histories. Set the timer to 6 or 7 minutes and see if that fixes your PV problems.

/mc
Old 02-18-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently defragged and noticed a huge speed increase for compact time. My database had something like 3000 fragments before defragging. After using windows defrag that number was like 1500. At the risk of spamming, I downloaded a trial of perfectdisk defragger and that got the database completely defragged. This might help. Let me know if you try it.

[/ QUOTE ] I posted this in another thread, it might help with your problem. Again, I'd be interested to know if it does.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Sounds reasonable except that I recently defragged (about 4-6 weeks ago?), so I doubt it would have fragmented that badly so soon.

JWP
Old 02-18-2005, 10:45 PM

4-6 weeks seems like quite a long time for a file that is constantly being modified. Couple that with the fact that windows defrag did a crap job(at least on my computer) and that might be the cause of performance issues. Open Defrag and click analyze, view report and see how many fragments the database files have. I'm not too computer geeky but if it's over 1000 I can't imagine it is too good.

FWIW I don't know why I feel so stongly about this. jwp said he doesn't think thats it and i almost took it as a personal attack. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Pull up the windows task manager while playing and switch it to processes. Sort the list by CPU usage and see what is spiking your performance.

For me McAffee was trying to scan all the packets comming in. That was very annoying.