Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Party Bad Beat Jackpot games (Homer?)

With an extra 50 cents taken out of every raked hand, are these games beatable at the 10/20 level for someone who makes approximately 1bb/hr? If so, would that same player yield more or less of a profit by playing the regular Party 5/10 games (no jackpot), or by playing the 10/20 Party jackpot games? Also, is there any veracity in the claims that the BBJ games are in general softer?

The reason I ask is that I normally play the regular 10/20 ring games, but oftentimes there aren't enough tables going, so I have to add in 5/10 tables. I completely forgot about the possibility of adding in the BBJ tables, but if that 50 cents of rake will cut too much into my profits, I won't bother. Of course, there's always the possibility I could actually hit the jackpot.......

Thanks for any info,

-Brian
Old 02-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Party Bad Beat Jackpot games (Homer?)

Try sitting at one, it's very worth it at that level, the play is much looser.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:06 PM

I am not an expert at this level at all as I mostly play microlimit but here is my reasoning on this. You play 60 hands an hour. You win 10% of hands at a full ring game. Therefore you win 6 hands/hr. 6 hands/hr = $3.00/hr. By this logic you will pay 5.00/100 hands extra in rake. this looks to me like .25 BB or a dead wash vs playing a lower limit. However this assumes the value of the ability to win the BB jackpot as zero. I am sure that this is not correct as the jackpot must add some non zero value to each hand.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You win 10% of hands at a full ring game

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that any full ring game winning player wins 10% of their hands...10% is their fair share of hands, but a tight player will never win this many...
Old 02-17-2005, 05:17 PM

If you plan on playing only the bad beat games, then you really only need to overcome the portion that party takes away forever when someone hits the jackpot. The rest, 90% or something, is returned to you at random in the form of the jackpot. If you plan on playing the bad beat tables indefinitely, you should eventually win that part back.

So while you lose 50 cents per hand won in the short run, you should only lose 5 cents per hand won in the long run. Or maybe I'm completely mistaken on this concept, I don't really know.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 PM

Hi duk,

That sounds right to me, but the problem is I probably won't live long enough to get to the point where that EV is made up. Or, I could hit the jackpot on the first hand.

In Sklansky&Malmuth's "How To Make $100,000 a Year Gambling for a Living", they discuss some jackpots on slot machines that are technically +EV. The problem is, they aren't a very good way to make a living because of the miniscule chance of your hitting the jackpot. This is the way I view the Party BBJ tables. I don't believe I've ever seen quads lose in all my time at the tables. Supposedly it happens every 200,000 hands (is that correct?), and I've played well over that many, but I've just never seen it happen. Though it is entirely possible I just missed it as I tend not to look at hands that I am not playing.

Thanks all for the comments thus far,

-Brian
Old 02-17-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi duk,

I don't believe I've ever seen quads lose in all my time at the tables. Supposedly it happens every 200,000 hands (is that correct?), and I've played well over that many, but I've just never seen it happen. Though it is entirely possible I just missed it as I tend not to look at hands that I am not playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I was part of the bad beat jackpot twice in November. Once on election day I provided the bad beat to get the 25% share. 2 weeks later, I was sitting at a table where it was hit for the small percentage. The jackpots weren't huge, but I still won over $20,000 for my efforts.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:09 PM

aren't you negelecting what buster said, that the BBJ games might be softer than their non-jackpot counterparts? pt stats anyone?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:16 PM

I generally find that the BBJ can be loser during certain hours. I play 2/4, and I look at the average pot size of the BBJ and compare them to the regular 2/4. You should do the same with the 10/20. If the tables are loser then I think it more than makes up for the 50 cents extra rake. Esp. at the 10/20 level.

Cheers,
Pots
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm glad you posted this because I also had been wondering about how the BBJJ games compare to the regular games. I suppose there's no way to get pokertracker to automatically distinguish BBJJ game results from regular results? I would like to track results separately. I guess I could create two separate databases and point PT to one or the other when importing hands, but that's a pain and won't work if I'm playing BBJ and regular games simultaneously since I have it auto-importing from the hard drive. Also, how does it deal with the .50 drop? Is it going to lump it into the rake statistic or will it miss it completely?

Also, a question for you Brian: How are the full 10/20 games on Party? How do they compare to the 5/10 and the 15/30? Any idea how they compare to the 10/20 on other sites (I know someone who plays 10/20 on UB a lot and likes it)?