Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Interesting Tourney Hand

Last night playing in a Headhunter tourney on JSP. These tourneys I play mainly for fun, usally 200 to 250 players, I won the night before so I thought I would go for back to back. Anyway, second hand blinds 10/20 and I am in the BB with AJo. Folded around to the sb who raises to 60. I flat call. I will go ahead and admit that I played this hand pretty passively. Flop comes 4d As 7s. sb bets 80. I just call again here. I really don't think he has a hand at this point and I want to see if I can get one more bet out of him and raise on the turn. Turn is the 6c. SB goes allin...
What do you have him on here and what is the play.

PC
Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Interesting Tourney Hand

A4, A6, or A7

Just a guess though.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Nothing makes me happier than players who hit their hand and then do absolutely everthing in their power to get their opponents to fold. What's the bet when you flop top set on a draw-less board? Push, of course.

Anyway, I'm going to put him on a made straight. Unless he showed, you must have called, which I would say is a bad idea.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Ok. I put this in two seperate posts because I think it is an interesting hand and didnt want it to come off as a "did I play this correctly/bad beat post. I called the allin for a couple of reasons: 1. In these tournaments, more than others, that first double up is huge. Unlike regular tourneys where the first double up just means you are ahead of the average with a long way to go, in these you now have the chips to bust people with and collect the bounties. first prize is only a couple hundred dollars, but if you add 5 or 10 bounties than it makes it a little more worth your time. 2. I felt like this was a blind steal from the start and 3. This bet makes absolutely no sense. If the turn helps him at all (as in a straight or set or even 2 pair) why the massive allin overbet. He went from an $80 bet on the flop to a 1300+ on the turn. I guess if he had 2 pair he could be worried I am calling with a draw, but I just felt like he was being overly aggressive trying to steal in the sb. Anyway, I called and he turned over 52o. Rivered the str8 and then berated me for calling with a pair of Aces. I actually like the way I played the hand. I had a read, went with it and was right but got unlucky. I know someone will say it was still early and wait for a better spot, but I had a read and went with it, and was correct. Any thoughts?

PC
Old 02-17-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. In these tournaments, more than others, that first double up is huge. Unlike regular tourneys where the first double up just means you are ahead of the average with a long way to go, in these you now have the chips to bust people with and collect the bounties. first prize is only a couple hundred dollars, but if you add 5 or 10 bounties than it makes it a little more worth your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. So how much would busting this guy have added?

[ QUOTE ]
2. I felt like this was a blind steal from the start

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't mean you're ahead. Indeed, it increases the chance he his a random two pair or str8.

[ QUOTE ]
3. This bet makes absolutely no sense. If the turn helps him at all (as in a straight or set or even 2 pair) why the massive allin overbet. He went from an $80 bet on the flop to a 1300+ on the turn. I guess if he had 2 pair he could be worried I am calling with a draw, but I just felt like he was being overly aggressive trying to steal in the sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right here. It makes no sense no matter what he has. (The only exception would be to put in an overbet if you are ahead and honestly believe someone will look you up with bottom pair or some such dreck. Against weak players it works enough to be profitable.) I play low buy-in tournaments, and I'm kind of used to this.

[ QUOTE ]
I had a read, went with it and was right but got unlucky. I know someone will say it was still early and wait for a better spot, but I had a read and went with it, and was correct. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You got your chips in when you were a significant favorite, based on a correct read. Not much to say, except keep it up. I had a different read, but you were there, so I can't say you were wrong.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Sam T.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with a lot of what you said. Especially number 2. This was just one of those situations where I felt like I was ahead. I don't know this guy, but judging purely on this hand, he is not the best, so therefore my reasoning most likely is not his reasoning. So I guess there was a decent chance that I was beat. The only reason I even posted was because his response about how bad I played it made me question my thought process a little bit, since I was thinking how bad he played it. By the way, I think the bounty on him was only $3 or 4$, but like I said this was a low buyin tourney, so it would have almost paid for my tourney on the second hand, which is never a bad thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PC