Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 03:14 PM

Default The word \"F-sh\": Disrespectful and -EV

I don't like the use of the word fish to describe weak players. (I didn't even want to write it in the headline subject.) I think it's disrespectful, insulting, and degrading.

I see this term used on many forums and poker websites. Do you think many weak or average players don't stumble across or check these sites out at least briefly. Do you want to provoke them, insult them, or make them feel like suckers? Or do you want to motivate them to become better players?

I think writing that word in public forums is generally in poor taste and also -EV.

=TomBk
Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: The word \"F-sh\". Disrespectful and -EV

No to mention how it makes actual fish feel...think of how many gold fish are swimming in a bowl next to a LPP as he browses the 2+2 forum..both of them with tears in their eyes..
Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 PM

They'll forget it in 3 seconds.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: The word \"F-sh\": Disrespectful and -EV

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think many weak or average players don't stumble across or check these sites out at least briefly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I still don't like calling people a fish. It's a very low % of the population that makes it to these forums at all, or even cares enough to check them out.

I don't mind describing someone's play as fishy, which generally connotes that they call incorrectly and rarely raise, but I don't like calling someone a fish.

Rob
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I still don't like calling people a fish. It's a very low % of the population that makes it to these forums at all, or even cares enough to check them out.

I don't mind describing someone's play as fishy, which generally connotes that they call incorrectly and rarely raise, but I don't like calling someone a fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a monkey? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a very low % of the population that makes it to these forums

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no actual figures, Entity, but I'll bet there are many, many internet poker players that stop into poker websites and forums, at least to look around a little bit. I don't think most are strongly committed to improving their game, but I think anybody with a computer and an internet account that likes to play online poker is going to at least occasionally put that word "poker" in that search engine and check a few things out.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with that. It doesn't really sound insulting used as an adjective like that, as opposed to labeling someone or a group with a derogatory name.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:24 PM

LOL!!! That's beatiful! I've got tears over that one dude...you guys just never end with these things...
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM

I prefer the word "tool" it has more uses. LOL!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:36 PM

I think that when people post a lot here, they tend to get a condescending (spelling anyone?) attitude towards people with few posts. I know they think they are helping, but I would always get railed since i didn't use a converter on a hand once, etc. Calling another person a fish is ok when talking to specifically to different person, when you talk about a person like they aren't there they'll get pissed and likely become a troll for these forums.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:40 PM

I have a tendency to privately call them scrubs or n00bs, but that's just from me playing videogames competetively growing up. (Still can't roll-cancel pocket aces, though... bleh.)

Don't call them fish or scrubs or assclowns live though; that's really bad form and -EV for all involved.

-K