Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Are the peaks and valleys this gut-wrenching???

To make a long story short, last week, I felt like I was invincible- a stone cold killer on the poker table.

A week later- I feel like a stone cold.. well, a cold stone. Anything and everything is going wrong, and I feel like I can't do much worse.

Is this normal in poker??? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Are the peaks and valleys this gut-wrenching???

In a word...yes. However if the swings are "consistently" wild, you could probably be making some adjustments in your play.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:52 AM

"Is this normal in poker???"

youve not provided any figures, but i still think the answer will be 'yes'.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:52 AM

I think the first step to take is to curb the highs. Try very hard to understand when you're running hot that you aren't invincible, that you don't deserve to win every big pot no matter how well you play, and that you don't play perfectly anyway.

If you overestimate yourself when you're up, you'll fall from greatness when you're down and it will hurt. And if you allow yourself too much joy from the luck of the cards, you might start to crave it, and it'll hurt more when you don't have it and you might even play worse trying to get it.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:22 AM

Wow, that was a fast response, doesn't anyone sleep at this time of night,lol?

Yes, even though it's nice to get on a rush, I still try to remain objective and remind myself that I was getting good cards and flops and I wasn't getting killed on the river.

I've also noticed opponents really treat you differently when you are winning. One guy next to me asked me if I read poker books. Then another lady said, wow you must pay for your college tuition playing poker. Now if you're losing, people think wow this guy's a sucker, a loose cannon. The guy next to me is not asking if I read poker books, but rather feeling sorry for me and trying to give me advice. The advice he should have given me is not to have the A- high flush when someone hits their full house on the river, lol
Old 02-17-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, that was a fast response, doesn't anyone sleep at this time of night,lol?

Yes, even though it's nice to get on a rush, I still try to remain objective and remind myself that I was getting good cards and flops and I wasn't getting killed on the river.

I've also noticed opponents really treat you differently when you are winning. One guy next to me asked me if I read poker books. Then another lady said, wow you must pay for your college tuition playing poker. Now if you're losing, people think wow this guy's a sucker, a loose cannon. The guy next to me is not asking if I read poker books, but rather feeling sorry for me and trying to give me advice. The advice he should have given me is not to have the A- high flush when someone hits their full house on the river, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right, unless you are playing with some people who are normally at the table and see you win consistently, a losing night is often a night where they will see you as a sucker and call you down. This is a good thing though, unless your bluffing all the time (and as a consistent winner online you probobly aren't) When you do catch your few good hands on the bad nights, or weeks as it goes, you will often win a few extra dollars just because they view you as a "sucker"
Old 02-17-2005, 07:23 AM

savour the feeling.. after your 20th peak and 20th valley, you'll barely notice the swings.. just your mistakes.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The advice he should have given me is not to have the A- high flush when someone hits their full house on the river, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one.

Other words of wisdom include "never hit a set when someone has a higher one," and "try to draw out, but don't let them draw out on you."

It's all in my book, "Try To Win."

Email me, and I'll send you an copy.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To make a long story short, last week, I felt like I was invincible- a stone cold killer on the poker table.

A week later- I feel like a stone cold.. well, a cold stone. Anything and everything is going wrong, and I feel like I can't do much worse.

Is this normal in poker???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 02-17-2005, 03:36 PM

To make a long answer short--yes. Though partly depends on how long you have been playing. I know not to let results affect you emotionally.

This is just one aspect of the game you work on and develop as you gain experience. Does Dave, Mason, or Ed get like that after wins or losses,,no. But we all have a few light years to go before we are in that company. So don't get discouraged, just try and focus on how you played.