Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 11:16 PM

Default 20-40 overcards

Hi Guys

Here's a hand i played tonight in my 20-40 game.Game is filled with average players. Three people limp to me and i raise KcQh in the CO and the bb calls and everyone else calls.There is 10.5sb.

The flop comes 7c 7s 6c with two clubs. Everybody checks to the guy to my right who bets i raise and everyone mucks to him and he three bets and i call.I should mention i have the Kc.The turn is the 7c 7s 6c Qd he bets and i call. The river is 7c 7s 6c Qd 8s he bets and i call. I win the pot with my Queens over 77 and he shows me the 8c 5s for 88 over 77.

I won the pot but how was my play on the flop and turn?Thanks Ice.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: 20-40 overcards

I think it is pretty terrible to raise KQo with 3 limpers in front. I like the flop raise but when you get 3 bet you have to be concerned he isn't just on a draw. I think calling is a an overlooked play here as you are way ahead or way behind.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 AM

I wish you hadn't posted the results, because my advice is that he is on a draw. I find, the majority of players in my games (5/10 and 10/20 mind you) try to get 2 bets on the turn with trips by just calling your flop raise. So, my advice is to raise the turn if you improve and it is not a club.

Was the button loose or tight?
Old 02-16-2005, 03:07 AM

you overlook the fact that most players will follow through on the river with a busted draw, so you win the same amount against a draw, but lose more when against trips.

therefore, call down.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38 AM

Kaz

The button was tight but the guy who three bet was loose.In the future i won't post the results as it makes for a better thread.

I don't like the turn raise since if he has the trips it just costs me more money and he would never fold a draw.In addition,if he is on a draw he will bet the river no matter what comes which is exactly what he did. Thanks Ice
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Deeznutz

I raise KQo with two or three limpers to me almost EVERYTIME because average players are telling me they don't have much of a hand which means i probably have the best hand and i'm not going to give up all that pre-flop money.

IMO if your not raising in that situation your making a big mistake since your hand is so much better.I did not see all the hands but one guy had 85 and the other person mucked a J5o earlier.There is no way that I play good enough to make that money up postflop and i would be willing to bet there are not many people that play that well postflop in the country that could make up all those missed bets.Ice
Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM

ice, i believe the general consensus on these forums is that it is incorrect to raise 3 limpers with KQo. you may be right, and unfortunately i dont know how to determine what the answer is. i hope someone intervenes for the reasoning behind not raising KQ here. To me, it would make sense that if raising AJo is +EV, KQo should also be +EV.