Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Shuck \'Em -- anyone know this variant of 5-stud low??

I've got an invitation to a multi-table home tournament next month. Sizable buyin. Most of the games in the rotation are very familiar forms of draw and stud. But they're also playing something called Shuck Em. It's something I've played at most once or twice in my whole life. I can either fold out fast every time it's called -- or try to build a mental framework for the game.

So here's the format: It's 5-stud low, dealt 1 down, 4 up, with usual betting rounds. After all the cards are dealt, surviving players can decide whether to discard two cards or stand pat. (Can't discard one.) The best low board signals first, and then it goes around clockwise. Once everyone has made a decision, the replacement cards are dealt out and a final round of betting occurs.

Obviously, this lets players stay in with flawed lows. It makes the whole game much chancier on final-round action, which I don't really like, but I'm in no position to stop. . . In a multiway pot, it puts pressure on the first actor (lowest hand showing) to try to improve, rather than sit still and be a target for multiple other players on a free draw. And it creates more bluffing opportunities for people with great-looking boards but a hidden pair, either before or after the draw.

Given all that, I've got three questions:
1) At a loose aggressive game, is there really much reason to think I can push people out with my strong hand after 2, 3 or 4 cards are dealt? Where do I have the most leverage to thin the field productively? Or should I just assume that it'll be multiway action at the end and the luckiest guy wins?
2) If I'm best hand showing, how much ahead of multiple opponents do I need to be before I don't replace?
3) Is is almost universally bad strategy to chase a pot after 3 or 4 cards if the best hand showing is betting and I know I've got to replace? Or are there ever times when a flawed hand is worth playing out to the finish?

Insights welcome.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Shuck \'Em -- anyone know this variant of 5-stud low??

Is it limit, no limit or pot limit? Do you replace up for up and down for down? Is there any price for shucking?

I've played Shuck 'em games that were 6CS hi-lo, but to be honest, this 5CS all-low format doesn't make much sense to me. The only advice I can give you from what I understand so far is: never shuck.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Shuck \'Em -- anyone know this variant of 5-stud low??

It's limit. Antes and no bring-in. The replacement cards are free -- which increases the random component greatly. There's no charge at the end for chasing. . . . Yes, you replace up cards with up cards; if you turn in your down card, you get a new down card.

Thinking about it some more, it feels like the obvious best place to be is HU at the end with a clearly better board showing. If there's enough dead money in the pot, pot odds probably justify playing HU with a somewhat weaker board and hoping the first-mover opponent stumbles. I can't think of any way I want to be in a multiway pot unless I've either got a stunningly good pat hand -- or I'm craving random gambling action with no discernable edge.

Last time I remember one big stack calling the game a noticeable amount as the tournament stakes increased. He'd bet aggressively on everything, and count on the randomizing quality of the final "shuck" to redeem him. Shorter stacks generally felt pressured to get out before the final showdown. He made money, but it was ugly poker.

If anyone sees a wiser strategy -- especially against big stacks or for multiway pots -- I'd welcome it.