Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Battle of the Blinds: 77 vs Ultra-LAG

I'm struggling to find the right balance of aggression and passivity against LAGs short-handed at the $2/$4 level. After doing a lot of PT research this weekend, I've found that, over the past two weeks, I'm actually losing the most money heads-up or 3-way versus ultra LAGs (70+ VP$IP / 20+ PFR). Now, much of this is variance/bad beats (set over set, flush over flush) and I'm not concerned about the results. But, what I'm looking for is a decent thought process on handling vulnerable hands where I know that I'm going to have to spend a lot of BB to get to showdown (unless I just call/call/call). I'm like a fish flopping around gasping for air...I just don't know what to do.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Here is an example:

I am in the SB, ultra-lag is to my left (doh) in the BB. All folded to me with 77 in my hand. I'd normally not think twice about raising here, but I knew I'd be re-raised. I raised anyway, he re-raised, and I capped. First mistake?

Flop comes 25T rainbow. I bet, he raises, I call. Second mistake? I also considered a check-raise but decided he'd probably re-raise that, too, so I tried to win outright with a bet on the slim chance he'd fold.

Turn is K. I check, he bets, I fold. Third mistake?

This is really tough for me because I cannot put him on a hand and I don't know if 77 is worth going all the way against someone who I know will not fold AND will put in as many bets as possible. At the same time, I don't want to give up on quality hands because I'm afraid.

Any ideas? Thanks all!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Battle of the Blinds: 77 vs Ultra-LAG

Against a real LAG, capping preflop is fine. I play the flop the same and check-call the rest of the hand.

Rob