Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Playing the ass end of the straight

Both villains were at around 20% VPIP but I only had a handful of hands (~20) so hard to tell really...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Playing the ass end of the straight

I play this the same way. Bummer of a river card. I probably raise a blank on the river.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:04 PM

I think you might need to pop the turn. Many would play a set this way.

Droolie's right tho, definetly raise a river blank
Old 02-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I was afraid I'd played this a little too weakly, but when I cap the flop and villain still leads the turn on such a coordinated board I'm starting to see monsters. Don't think I could've found it in me to raise a blank river here. Another leak to plug.

Result: villain turns over QJ for the flopped nut straight. (Tilt reference complete)
Old 02-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Why are we capping the flop here? I'd just call the 3-bet and pop the turn.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play this the same way. Bummer of a river card. I probably raise a blank on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% the wrong strategy when we are about 100% sure that MP3 is on the draw against us. Make them pay now. They might not pay up on the river should it brick out.

Brad
Old 02-15-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% the wrong strategy when we are about 100% sure that MP3 is on the draw against us. Make them pay now. They might not pay up on the river should it brick out.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
I was assuming there was a 50/50 chance between MP3 having the nut str8 and having a set given the flop action. I was more willing to take a chance on finding out he had the nuts when the river didn't pair the board or make a flush.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
I was assuming there was a 50/50 chance between MP3 having the nut str8 and having a set given the flop action. I was more willing to take a chance on finding out he had the nuts when the river didn't pair the board or make a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 bet the flop and then called 3 more bets. He also called a turn bet. It seems pretty likely to me that he is on a flush draw or maybe a straight draw. He isn't going to call river raises with busted draws but he will call now. MP1 will [censored] us over if he has the nut straight no matter what so raising now or later doesn't really matter. We wan't MP3's money while he is drawing, not when he has either a flush or nothing.

Brad
Old 02-15-2005, 07:36 PM

so what's your action shill?

raise the turn? When do you start thinking about QJ
Old 02-15-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MP3 bet the flop and then called 3 more bets. He also called a turn bet. It seems pretty likely to me that he is on a flush draw or maybe a straight draw. He isn't going to call river raises with busted draws but he will call now. MP1 will [censored] us over if he has the nut straight no matter what so raising now or later doesn't really matter. We wan't MP3's money while he is drawing, not when he has either a flush or nothing.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

My last post was stupid. I meant I thought MP1 had the set or nut str8 (you probably knew that). What I meant was that I really didn't like the idea of letting MP three bet us on the turn when so many cards kill us on the river. You're right that we're letting MP3 draw to his flush cheaply but he's not folding and do we really charge him if we are only ahead 50% of the time and are looking at the spectre of being rerasied and sucked out on to boot? I'll have to think more about this one on my ride home.