Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Live 100-200

Mediocre 100-200 game, I am gonna pick up soon...I open raise in MP with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded to BB who calls. BB is a tough solid regular in the game. We have never played against eachother before...I am 24 years old and might appear to him as someone a little tight and nervous taking a shot. Not really sure...

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent leads...what is my plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Live 100-200

raise the flop for starters, and cap if you get the chance.

then bet the turn if checked to. he may have almost anything thinking you are on some big cards. convince him you have that overpair, if he doesnt believe you, then you have alot of outs to fall back on.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM

do everything you can to convince him to fold. that means raising this flop and firing your bullets on the other streets as well. if he 3-bets your flop bet which will happen a good amount of time, well, then you got to hit to win.

also if he's a bit nitty you can go for the delay semi-bluff and raise the turn hoping he'll fold his overcards or even lay down a pair right there.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 AM

I agree that you should do everything you can to make him fold. In this case, I believe you should flat call the flop, then raise on the turn. Play it like you have a 7. You are pretty sure he doesn't have a 7 since he led the flop. Additionally, you may hit on the turn or river.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that you should do everything you can to make him fold. In this case, I believe you should flat call the flop, then raise on the turn. Play it like you have a 7. You are pretty sure he doesn't have a 7 since he led the flop. Additionally, you may hit on the turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not really that believable that hero would have a 7 here cuz he raised preflop. if anything a turn raise would represent an overpair, though a smart player may see it as a bs free-showdown/semibluff overcard play too.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:24 PM

this is really a perfect situation:

he thinks you're tighter and much more nervous that you really are...now given that HOW do you want to show you're strength...i think its pretty clear you should either raise now, or raise a turn bet if you hit or if you dont.

benefits to raising now are that it'll set the stage now for later both in the hand and the session...if he folds here with no showdown he'll continue to think that you are a straightforward tight player...

if you call now he can probably put you on exactly what you have and play correctly for the rest of the hand.

question: do you want a free card if checked to on the turn, or is he so sure you're tight that you should bet the turn and river also?

-Barron
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you should flat call the flop, then raise on the turn. Play it like you have a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]
if anything a turn raise would represent an overpair, though a smart player may see it as a bs free-showdown/semibluff overcard play too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that a turn raise looks like an overpair. This is exactly why my thought reading the original post is to call the flop and raise the turn, representing a big pair. But it's hard to say for sure because it depends on the norms in this game. If it is routine to jam it up on the flop in a spot like this with an overpair, then waiting until the turn will obviously look suspicious.

I agree that a smart player may see through the turn raise, but he just as well might see through flop aggression. Again, that really depends on the norms in this game.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:06 PM

raising the flop is either 0EV or +EV while offerring semibluffing potential, while raising the turn is -EV. unless you are sure that raising the turn will increase your semibluffing potential significantly, i dont find it optimal.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you are sure that raising the turn will increase your semibluffing potential significantly, i dont find it optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree (assuming we don't help on the turn). It's pretty clear that the only reason to raise the turn is if we have a decent chance of taking down the pot. This is why it's so game-dependent. I think that in a lot of games, raising the turn is going to take down the pot fairly often, while raising the flop almost never will. At least in the games I play, this is usually true. I agree that if you are in a game where a turn raise won't represent a big hand convincingly, then you are just throwing money away by taking this line.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 PM

"if you call now he can probably put you on exactly what you have and play correctly for the rest of the hand"

Really? I see this bet as trying to freeze up the "kid" and get him to dump his overcards. If you just call, you could easily have overcards, or slowplaying a big hand. It's hard to believe he would know that a T,9,8 or heart is what he has to worry about - his plan is probably to bet any rag card again on the turn.

With nothing to show down I think you have to take a stand on the turn, and it's your best chance to convince him that you have a better hand than A-high, which is probably the best hand he'll fold.