Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Default 2/4 NL How to extract the Max?

Online 2/4 I have $350, EP has $200, LP and SB have me covered.

I have TT in BB, 4 limpers, SB completes, I check.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet 25, EP calls, LP calls, SB calls.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Great card, but what to do? EP and SB are both pretty conservative, playing tight/passive. LP hasn't been in the game very long and I have no real read on him. EP and LP most likely have straight or flush draws, but SB could have a lot of pair or pair + draw hands since he was getting good odds on his flop call. How do I get the max out of this hand?

-Solo
Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: 2/4 NL How to extract the Max?

Hmm....

I think a check would be the best play in this spot. In my experiance if a player comes out firing on the flop, checks a board pairing turn, then puts in a big bet on a blank river he usually has a boat. However, the way this hand played out, you checking could be interpreted in a lot of ways. 9 is scary for hands like A 10 or 10 4 in the BB, especially with 3 callers behind you. So you can check and see how it plays out, hopefully someone will put in a big bet or make their striaght or flush on the river.
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Checking is not the right answer-if anybody is on a draw, they'll be more than happy to check behind and see a cheap river. I think it's less usual for drawers to put in bluffs on the turn when the board pairs so you can't go for a check-raise or check-call. Bet half the pot so the drawers will still draw and then bet the river. They'll either give you action or they won't, and if they're willing to you might as well give them as many opportunities to do so as you can.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Good point. The 3 callers confused me, you can't put all of them on a draw can you?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:04 AM

I'd bet a little weak, like you are not too happy with the 9, but want to make sure anyone pays for their draws... I'd put in about $60 here (and hope somebody tripped and raises).
Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 AM

I agree. I hate a check in this spot. I probably 1/2 pot it.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 AM

I put EP and LP on draws, SB could have a lot of hands, maybe as little as a pair of 9s. In the hand I bet $50 (pot was like $125) I was really hoping EP would call, that way if the other two had draws they'd have a harder time getting away from it given the size of the pot. I also couldn't discount the possibility that somebody else had hit a real hand and was also looking to play a big pot, and I certainly wouldn't want to disspoint them if that's the case [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Unfortunately, everybody folded so I started thinking maybe I should have checked....

-Solo
Old 02-15-2005, 01:26 AM

C'mon-if they folded they couldn't have had draws unless you're the most transparent player in the world. You just got unlucky nobody had a hand to play with, but that doesn't mean this is an unprofitable play/profit-minimizing approach in similar scenarios.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:29 AM

how about a weak lead like a scared ten? (AT KT etc.)
Old 02-15-2005, 01:17 PM

weak lead is perfect, i think.

its important to resist the temptation to check in this spot. many beginners get caught up in the thinking that they want to give their opponents a free chance to draw out on them. however, they won't get any action should they miss the draws. they need to get money into the pot on the turn for that very reason.

a weak lead... anywhere from 1/4 pot to 1/3 pot... is right in this situation. it gives the impression that the paired nine has scared you, as well as giving the "correct" odds to the opponents to draw at an open-ender, when they are actually drawing dead. i actually think 1/2 pot is pushing it.

my two cents.

best of "luck".