Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Harrah\'s in New Orleans - NL game

Hey all,

I'll be in New Orleans for an interview at tulane in a few weeks. I heard that Harrah's spreads a 5/5 NL game which was pretty wild. I'd just like to see if it's still going on, how it plays and if anyone could give me any other advice, i.e. call ahead or what not. I'll be there Thurs. - Sun if anyone wants to meet up. Also any other NL games that I should be aware of, how far is it from Tulane campus?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s in New Orleans - NL game

You can take the streetcar from Tulane, it will drop you off right at the front door. I've heard they will let you call and put your name on the wait list, but the last time I tried that they acted like I was insane.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM

I played there a little during the past weekend. The big bet games ranged from very loose passive to very tight. I didn't see too much heavy aggression, but I didn't play all that long. The buy-in is minimum hundred, no max. This makes for some interesting dynamics.

The night I played there was a must move game and a main game, along with a half Omaha PL half Hold-em NL. All-in all it is definitely worth checking out. I'm not sure about calling ahead, but I imagine they'd refuse to let you because that seems to be the general policy at Harrah's: the players always come second. Despite this the action is worth checking out.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:27 PM

Blinds are 5/5?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:31 AM

I'm visiting New Orleans this week and I've played in the 5/5 game for the past 2 nights. It is a great game; mostly locals and quite limpy pre-flop. Great action post with pots regularly over $1K, esp. in the PLO (5/10 blind).

As far as Harrah's "putting the players second"... tonight I was in a must-move game for the 1/2 and 1/2 and we were 5 handed at 3am - this game had been going for like 12 hours (there is no expiration on the must-moves, like many places will do a "must-move for an hour"). For various reasons the 5 of us decided to bag the PLO and play holdem only, so the dealer called the floor but keep dealing. We go about 3 rounds of skipping the PLO before the floor comes over and says that we can't just change the game because it's a must move. The 5 of us decide that we don't want to be a must-move anymore because nobody wants to play PLO, so the floor broke the game.

BTW, it's 10% to $5 +$1 jackpot drop.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'm probably more interested in playing the just holdem game. That's still 5/5? Average stack in the 500-800 range? From what it sounds like? I'm used to playing in a 2/5 game that plays deep so this should be perfect. Also saw that you are from maryland, I'm from rockville. Small world.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:14 PM

The NL is also 5/5, but like yesterday there was only the 1/2 and 1/2 game - no NL game. Stacks are more like $1k-$2k. Nobody is buying in for less than 500, although the minimum is 100 for those that wanna take a shot. The biggest limit game if you are interested is 10/20 and it was very soft. I've never been called by so many who held so little.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest limit game if you are interested is 10/20 and it was very soft. I've never been called by so many who held so little

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all very true, but sometimes on the weekends, it will get jacked up to 15/30, still very soft though.