Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Top 2 pair re raised?!?!?!

playing live 3/6 NL
i am to the left of the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], i call .... loose table... 4 players in the pot
flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], SB checks, i bet $35 into the pot, the button raises me to $85 SB calls....i have about $340in chips, and both the villain and SB have about the exact same as me, villain is loose aggressive

I have top 2 pair... Whats my play?

Any advice will help!
thx
Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Top 2 pair re raised?!?!?!

Stack-sizes and how crazy villain is would help us give advice here...without those I can just say if you're short-stacked push and if you're deep-stacked I'd re-raise and fold to a push. Just calling here and betting out the turn is screaming to get played at so if you're willing to lay down top two to a big bet then you might as well do it when you have most reason to think the bet isn't playing at you.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM

You're not deep stacked, and if both opponents are pretty loose a push is good here.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:55 PM

I like the push. Pre-flop play would be massivly useful though. Give us a chance to put te guy on AK which is his mostly likely holding based on the info you've given
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM

My post-flop play was just awful, i was planning on pushing (after i realized i should have pushed on the flop) after the turn, but the turn was horror card T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], we all ended up checking the whole way through, river brought a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to give the villain and SB a straibght with their KQ, villain claims he would have called my all in instantly on the flop.....
Old 02-14-2005, 05:58 PM

i dunno that many people play the same way as me, but i raise at least to $30 preflop if i have position and there's 4 limpers ahead of me in a $3-$6 game. if they're loose, fine, they call, but you have excellent position, and hopefully a good read (i guess if you have no read on your opponents this isn't a good raising spot but i love it). the raise gives you credit for so much more, but then, i'm aggressive in live play after i've got some time at the table.
onthe flop, it'll definitely get checked to you, and this is where you decide (depending on the calling players, chips in the pot, and remaining stack, to push). i think it's a pretty easy PF raise, and push on the flop. if KQ does call and run out on you, such is poker, but you'd be getting you $ in with the best hand and he's drawing slim.

guess it all depends on if you're looking to win a few pots here and there, or if your looking to maximize your time and money at the table.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM

smooth call. there are no draws - get your money in on the turn/river.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no draws?! There's two clubs out there and an OESD for anyone holding QT.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no draws?! There's two clubs out there and an OESD for anyone holding QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

beat me to it, that's pretty damn draw heavy.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:39 PM

You're insane.