Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Default 5/10 6max (4 handed) blind defense. Reasonable?

Sometimes I google people's names to see what I find. In this case, SB's name hit in 2+2 forums so figured TAG who would try to steal if folded around.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: 5/10 6max (4 handed) blind defense. Reasonable?

EDIT: apparently hero completed straight. nice job [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. thx bakku.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually raise the flop in this situation. Waiting to check/raise the turn is ok too though. When SB check/raises you on the turn I can't see any good reason to 3-bet. Your hand has no showdown value so taking a free showdown is worthless, and even though you have a sweet draw you're still an underdog to hit it with one card to come. SB has shown a good amount of strength thus far, so I highly doubt you're getting a fold here. Additionally, it could very likely get capped. The river raise is chip spewing IMO. No way you're getting a fold 1 in 5 times here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should reread the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hero did fine.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Hero has a straight

Also, you can't checkraise the turn when he's the SB and your the BB. I think raiseing the flop is best as it gives you a better chance of folding him out when he is beating you but can't know it, like when he has 2 overcards and you miss. Calling the flop is still superior to folding, since you have 5:1 immediately and the straight will win HU almost all the time.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:56 PM

i think its completely reasonable. a raise from the SB doesnt mean much. you have position the whole hand, and are getting 3:1 on the preflop call.

-mike
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 PM

as much as i dont like folding to sb steals, i would have folded the 7-5s. i will defend a 76s or a 86s. that's just my personal cutoff. i suppose a 7-5 is reasonable though.

i like a flop raise. if sb misses and was on a steal,
you will often get him to fold to your flop raise or your subsequent turn lead and many other times you will hit your double gut.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM

I like everything about this hand. You clearly had reason to invest .5 BB (3-1 pot odds).

Many would raise on the flop - I tend to remain conservative here. If a high card comes on the turn, I am likely to fold.

You had good pot odds at this point with the double gut shot. When you hit it - you value bet nicely.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many would raise on the flop - I tend to remain conservative here. If a high card comes on the turn, I am likely to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you fold?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the replies...against 2 overcards I am a 5:3 dog, but against a higher pair I am a 5:1 dog. I gave a lot more weight to SB having 2 higher cards because of the steal situation...so I think the 3:1 odds make this a reasonable call, but probably marginally so...also, I think the flop raise was probably a better move as a couple people here stated.

As it turns out SB, flipped over AA and the insults started:

2+2er: nice call, you SUCK
2+2er: i had AA, you are the captain of terrible.
2+2er: there is no way you can win money
me: but they were suited
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2er: nice call, you SUCK
2+2er: i had AA, you are the captain of terrible.
2+2er: there is no way you can win money
me: but they were suited

[/ QUOTE ]

hee -- I use that one too. But spell it "sooted" of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Shuts them up pretty fast, usually.

Apparently he would have been much happier if you had just folded the BB and he had just picked up the blinds.