Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 02:47 PM

Default How strong is a made hand

Hi,

I've read a couple of pokerbooks and there is often discusions about outs how to calculate and what pot odds you need to call.

But I have never come across anything about how strong a made hand is when it's not the nuts at different stages of the game.

Does anyone have a surgestion where I can get some info on this or how to reason?

For example:

I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

There are three opponents Im last and there is a bet and a raise.

How strong am I. Should I fold.

Peter
Old 02-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: How strong is a made hand

[ QUOTE ]

I have 6 6
Flop is 6 8 8

[/ QUOTE ]

You are very strong and should not fold. There's any number of reasons why they are betting at it and raising it. Flush draw, straight draw, someone has an 8... I would re-raise this and try to isolate with the original raiser... if more people stay, great. You can't give up a great hand because someone has shown a little aggression unless you have a solid read on the player saying that he only raises with the absolute nut hand... know what I mean?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:57 PM

This is touched upon in SSHE (example: folding when you might be ahead because the chance of being ahead on 5th street is slim).

Your example is not a good one. Here, you should re-raise. You should only consider folding if a third 8 shows up on the board.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:59 PM

only hand that beats you is 86 & 88 right now. If one of your oppenents has an 8x, they have 4 outs (an 8 and their 3 kickers). If an opponent has 99-AA, they have 2 outs. (very slim chance they have 22-55 and hit runner runner 4 of a kind, or a straight flush possibilities if they have something like 5h 7h)

you hold a monster hand. get as much money as you can in the pot.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:01 PM

I was just wondering...what hands would you be afraid of?
I would definitely re-raise to isolate though. I don't believe that he would usually re-raise without an 8. Just my take on it however. A similar hand came up in a tourney of mine when I held 44. Flop came AA4. 1 guy bet, another re-raised and I pushed. Both called with an A and neither got help.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I've read a couple of pokerbooks and there is often discusions about outs how to calculate and what pot odds you need to call.

But I have never come across anything about how strong a made hand is when it's not the nuts at different stages of the game.

Does anyone have a surgestion where I can get some info on this or how to reason?

For example:

I have 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord no. You're behind to exactly two hands pocket eights or 6-8. Neither is very likely since quads is pretty damn rare and you have two of the sixes. On the other hand, A-8 thinks he has the best hand here and will be agressive as will probably any hand with an eight in it. And some of your better players will get aggessive with two hearts, especially if they also have good overcards. And boy would you love for somebody to make a flush on this board--jackpot city.

There are some hands that can still suck out on you. Anybody with an eight in their hand hand has the ability to outdraw you either by making quad eights or if the turn and river are a pair, a better boat=-or by pairing their kicker and again making a better boat. If a third eight hits the board then anybody with a higher pocket pair than yours will make a better full house.

But this is still a monster hand. Treat it as such. Agression here could be something as whimpy as a pair of nines, some kind of draw, or a pure bluff.

--Zetack
Old 02-13-2005, 03:10 PM

This is a joke, right?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:48 PM

no joke but a very poor choise of hand sorry.

The reason is that I have been taken down so hard on set or better that I start to question my game (any part of my game) completely.

And the truth is I don't really know how to value a made hand, any made hand.

I mean a set is strong, a boat is strong ...
But how strong, how do I put odds on it so I can value it against pot odds.

SSHE is that Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
only hand that beats you is 86 & 88 right now. If one of your oppenents has an 8x, they have 4 outs (an 8 and their 3 kickers). If an opponent has 99-AA, they have 2 outs. (very slim chance they have 22-55 and hit runner runner 4 of a kind, or a straight flush possibilities if they have something like 5h 7h)

you hold a monster hand. get as much money as you can in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the opponet has 99-AA, that person has 4 outs, not 2. Just a little nitpick there.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:00 PM

damn, just lost 15 buck on a boat again.

My hand 44
flop 4TT
turn 8
river A

Opponent AT