Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Default 5/10 NL open-ended straight flush draw

5/10 NL - 5 handed

fairly tight table
I had been raising 25% hands preflop

I raise to $35 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button
SB reraises $80 more and I call because I felt that I had a solid post-flop read on each player at the table

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $235...I(button) push for about $800

Any comments on this play.

Results below in white:

<font color="white">SB calls the all-in raise with QQ
Turn: K
River: Q </font>
Old 02-13-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL open-ended straight flush draw

fold preflop, you dont have enough behind to warrent the call.

postflop looks good.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:03 PM

Umm...the suit kinda matters on the turn card? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2005, 11:32 PM

I was shocked when reading the post and got to where it said you only had 800.00 to push. FSU is right you need much more to call preflop with that hand if your going on implied odds. Without seeing results I am guessing you were called by a big pair, hopefully not ak clubs.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:04 AM

you played the hand correctly, I would have called the preflop raise looking for a big flop but you dont want to be drawing (even if you're a small favorte) when you can clearly see that paired card on the board, if the board was 2 9c Jc then you should be pushing all in...due to your opponents raise, you put him on a big pair, if he has trip jacks with the 29J flop you can hit any of your outs and take him down, with the board paired on the flop you may need a miracle of one of two cards to save you to his possible boat
Old 02-14-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: 9 9 J

SB bets $235...I(button) push for about $800

[/ QUOTE ]

Need more info on SB if you can. What are his re-raising standards?

Assuming tight raising standard reads; his re-raise could be TT-AA, possibly AQ and AK.

If the flop was 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], it's a no brainer push all-in. You are a definite favorite unless he's got a set.

However, on this particular flop you very well be drawing to runner runner Queens/Tens and/or to only the straight flush, provided your opponent has JJ. If he has KK, you are only able to hit the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

His pot size bet means something. Like you said, it's been a pretty tight game.

Now because the board is paired, you'll have to weight in a lot of things other than just pushing because you have a OESF draw. You'll also have to weigh in the chances of him having a fullhouse, whether or not you really think your drawing dead to A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and what fold equity you have. You also have to consider that any 9, J, Q, K, A could kill your hand.

Weigh all those out.

Now, do you still think it's worth shoving all in? I probably think not.

Lawrence.