Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Default flopped trip kings on the button

my first orbit at the table, i have no reads on anyone at all.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($62)
Hero ($48.5)
SB ($49)
BB ($123.05)
UTG ($215.2)
MP ($45.5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

everyones in for no raise? i have a decent hand for 6 max.. ill limp along..

Flop: ($5.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $3.

i dont want UTG to steal the pot with this bet and i dont want to give cheap draws to hearts so i raise it to the pot to get it heads up hopefully or take it down now

Turn: ($15.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

i would hate to get checkraised here, i check behind and see what he does on the river

River: ($15.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls $8.

check again? i value bet.

Final Pot: $31.50

comments?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: flopped trip kings on the button

Fold pre-flop.

Other than that, raise more on the flop, something like $7 could be good. It'll price draws better and it will help to define other players hands.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:32 PM

PoBoy,

GTown grad?

Would KJo be good enough for a call on the button shorthanded?
What criteria are you using to determine your starting hands?
I am new to NL, so just curious how preflop decision making differs in this situation with limpers and good position.

Thanks, Ethan
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM

Apparently G-town is lowering entrance requirements...KT is fine to play in an unraised pot from the button if there isnt a "punish the limpers" tendancy in the blinds.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 PM

I think it's an acceptable limp on the button. i'll limp with a lot worse hands than that from the button in an unraised pot. i may have even raised (depends on the table).

flop- you are making a 3$ raise into a 6.50$ pot. bet 6.50 instead.

turn- deal with the checkraise after it happens. pot it or the Ah Jh or Qh has a free draw.

river- no real reason to value bet. he'll fold without a K at least, and raise if you're beat, imo. i'd geuss he missed, AQ, TJ, something, but he obviously tried a weak steal on the flop and wants to show it down. make him pay for the privalage.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Results and thoughts

Villain shows Q8o and mhig.. i wasnt too sure about this hand. I think my raise on the flop was indeed too small, im a little unsure about the turn. If i bet, i have to fold to a raise and i have a lot of outs to a flush, i guess i can even count on my redraw with the Th as an out. but im also giveing him a free card to hit his lone heart if i check.. on the river i can see the "what is he gonna call me with here that i beat?" argument, but i think at nl50 i can expect to be called by almost any PP, an 8 or a worse k here more often then a flush or boat.

Based on his check the turn check the river i was fairly confident i was ahead, i dont think people play very deceptively at these low limits, but i only have around 1k hands at nl50 so i really am not an authority.

If he does put in a substantial raise on this river.. i do fold. but i think the value bet will be called a lot by a worse hand.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:30 PM

what do you mean when you said

[ QUOTE ]
make him pay for the privalage.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the river you want to make a big bet opposed to a value bet your saying? I think the checking was the right thing to do provided he bet more on the turn and was smooth called.

... also, on the turn wouldn't you fold to a bet / check-raise. What is to say that the villian didn't hit his hearts. What is the logic behind that other than the double-check / smooth call?