Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Failed checkraise

Should I have bet out on the flop? How much?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t1280)
UTG+1 (t1390)
MP1 (t980)
MP2 (t715)
CO (t1245)
Button (t975)
Hero (t850)
BB (t2565)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t120) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t120</font>, CO calls t120, Hero calls t120, BB folds.

River: (t480) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t565 (All-In)</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1045
Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Failed checkraise

In my opinion, yes, you should have bet out on the flop. In this situation I'm inclined to pot it. Top two is a good hand, but there aren't many situations where I like checkraising it. Given this board it seems rather unlikely that there's going to be a raise behind and I really don't think you want to be giving a free card, since even if nobody makes a straight you're going to have a hard time getting any further action. Leading out here, I don't think people are going to necessarily give you credit for as big a hand as you have. Getting some callers and avoiding a scare card might be able to extract you more money than the checkraise would anyway, since I think the checkraise would fold a greater number of second-best hands.

I think perhaps a more difficult question is what to do if you pot it, get a caller, and then see that 8. Your position really hurts you in this case; checking in that situation is begging to have the pot taken away from you, but obviously it's going to be difficult to lead out there.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:00 AM

Default another thought

I don't like the turn call if you're going to fold that river; it seems unlikely that the king has moved you from ahead to behind, and you weren't getting nearly the right price to call a turn bet just hoping to pick up the boat. If you're pretty sure you're beat and aren't willing to take this to showdown, fold on the turn.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Failed checkraise

I don't think it's bad. Depends on the table, but with 3 people acting after you, you can usually count on a bet.

I check and fold on the turn though. 5,6,7,8 out there and a decent bet that gets called, one of them outta have the straight.