Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 12:52 AM

Default AQo unimproved

Been lurking for awhile figured it was time to post a few hands.... no reads here

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Correct play here?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: AQo unimproved

that's about how I woulda played it.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Nice hand.

Nice value bet on the river.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:41 AM

I check behind on the river because I don't think you're folding out a small pair here.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind on the river because I don't think you're folding out a small pair here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Gravy. Would both opponents fold a hand that beats you, especially after you check the turn? The river card would only improve a hand that you'd bet the turn with, so the river bet reeks of a bluff imho..
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Gravy. Would both opponents fold a hand that beats you, especially after you check the turn? The river card would only improve a hand that you'd bet the turn with, so the river bet reeks of a bluff imho..

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Heads up I'd bet the river and if heads up on the turn I def bet it there. With 2 opponents though I prob dont.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 AM

Do you understand why taking down the pot is not necessarily relevant when deciding whether you played it correctly? It's tempting to just be happy when the chips slide your way.

For the bet to be correct, one or both of your opponents would have to have folded a better hand. If you had them both beaten, you would have won at showdown anyway.

The other part of the equation is that you have to be more than a 50% favourite when called for it to be a value bet.

So, both opponents need to do counter-intuitive things: fold a pair but call without one. They'll tend to do the opposite most of the time. Exceptions are just that... exceptions. You need 2 of them. Simultaneously.

Finally, the J is not likely to be scary enough to signficantly improve your chances of folding a better hand... especially after your turn check.

Check the river.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:12 AM

Yup, not going to get a worse hand to call from BOTH of them or for them to fold a hand that beats you.

Check it down
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 PM

Yeah I probably shouldn't have left the two folds there.

So, with 2 callers I check this river... is betting the correct play if there is only one caller?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I probably shouldn't have left the two folds there.

So, with 2 callers I check this river... is betting the correct play if there is only one caller?

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting is rarely the correct play when you only have A-high, can you reason out why?