Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 12:00 AM

Default QQ in the CO - too passive and scared?

MP2 is 32.17/0/0.84 over 143 hands, no reads on SB.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

The 3rd spade pairing the board on the turn scared me, especially when passive MP2 bet out, and SB checkraised, I started fearing trips or, more likely, flushes, so I went into calldown mode. Was there another line I should have taken?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: QQ in the CO - too passive and scared?

Having an overpair checkraised on the turn sucks. I think you can lay it down on the turn in this hand, though - SB is checkraising a bettor and a caller on a turn card that a) paired the board and b) made the flush possible. He's got trips or a set here more than 90% of the time, and it's going to cost you two more bets to get to showdown.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:14 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I tend to have trouble letting go of big pocket pairs, especially if it would appear that I was beat. If I had been holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], it would have been a much easier decision to call down, right?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM

With MP2s stats, him betting out on the turn suddenly more than likely means he has either a flush or a 9. He's just been too passive for him to suddenly hurl one big bet into the turn. I probably lay it down right there. I might force myself to call one.

After SB check raises though, I'm folding for sure. Then I'll take note of what he was check-raising with for future reference (and I'll curse the first call). There's just too many ways you're beaten at this point.

If I had Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I'd probably call down too. You now have about 4 - 5 more outs (since A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] beats your rivered flush) and there is enough in the pot to see the river.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Yeah. Looking back, given the play of the hand, I should have folded to that checkraise... the board was way too scary at that point. After my session, I discovered that the SB had been graced with a fishy icon in PT after 47 hands. Once I found out what MP2 bet with and what SB checkraised with , I alternately congratulated myself for staying in the hand and berated myself for not getting out when all obvious signs pointed to me being beat.

Results:
MP2 had KhTd (two pair, tens and nines)
SB had Th5h (two pair, tens and nines)
For some inexplicable reason, MHIG.

So, although I got lucky, I know that I can't play like that, because against any opponents who aren't completely moronic and played the same way (not that I really mind the morons, mind you...), my hand would have been no g00t. At least I realize this... that's a step in the right direction, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]