Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Flop broadway, second nut flush draw. Misplayed it?

Here is how I think I misplayed this hand:

1. I failed to raise PF, but that was a misclick. Plus, I don't think it's really that bad anyways.

2. I raised on the flop, which was never going to knock out the Ah but might have knocked out a lesser chasing heart. I shouldn't have done this and should have gotten more customers on my big hand.

3. I didn't even think before I bet the river. Of course I *was* going to bet it, but I had no plan for being raised. Would I fold? Reraise? Should I have checked it down? My river play was dumb and unthinking.

All other criticisms/comments welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Flop broadway, second nut flush draw. Misplayed it?

Preflop: I wouldn't have raised with ATo anyway, unless the table as a whole was very weak/tight.

Flop: If you're going to raise on this hand (as you should), this is the spot to do it. That 4th heart won't come that often, but you've got a very strong hand regardless. I want to raise this flop for several reasons:

A-It's likely that most of your opponents caught a piece of this flop, and will call 2 cold with two pair, an OESD, or any heart.
B-I want to know right away if I'm up against a made flush or a flush draw/top pair/2 pair/whatever, and I'd rather get 3-bet on the flop than on the turn.
C-You don't want to make it cheap for an offsuit A or T to call to a potential chop, if your straight is the best hand at the moment.

Turn: Standard.

River: Bet and call if check/raised. There's only 1 card in the deck that beats you, and I'm not about to check through for fear that your lone opponent is holding it.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Flop broadway, second nut flush draw. Misplayed it?

PREFLOP: Don't raise. There's already three in this pot, and A,To may not hold a lot of equity here. Limp and see the flop (Standard).

FLOP: I know a few people won't like this suggestion - but I support smooth-calling here, with the intent to raise the turn:

You've got a STRONG hand here. No one raised preflop, so a set on this broadway board is unlikely, meaning you don't have to worry as much about someone filling up to a boat by the river. Further, you have the 2nd nut flush draw, and raising here isn't going to push out the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] anyway. Keep as many as you can along for the ride on the flop, then punish them on the turn.

TURN: Had you not raised the flop. You'd likely be able to raise here.

RIVER: You must be here, and call a raise. (As Harv said, there's only one card in the deckt that beats you).

Adam